Monday, January 12, 2015

Today is THE DAY!!!

Today is a pretty big day.  First and foremost, it is the first day of my 50 mile training plan!!  I have been so excited... really looking forward to this day.  So, how did I celebrate it?  I took the day off. What?! Well, on Saturday, Heather, Katie and I went to Mt. Pisgah to run around in the mud and low hanging clouds (also known as fog) and it was a great time.  I should be more specific, it was beautiful and exhilarating and also really, really hard.  We ended up with 15.5 miles, about 3000 feet of elevation gain and it took us well over 3 hours to complete it, I think...I actually didn't have my watch.  Katie had never run at Pisgah and Heather and I hadn't been there for a while...it's rough going, we forgot how rough, but oh so beautiful...take a look for yourself:
"She turned me into a newt"
"A newt?!"
"I got better."
This is halfway up one of the decent sized climbs.  I thought that if I got a picture of Heather and Katie further up it would give perspective to the steepness of it...doesn't even come close.  :)
Can you see the face?
I was of course tired after the run but not really too sore.  I took a long hot shower and Dan gave me a nice massage.  Then I sat on the couch and was really lazy until it was time to go to bed...well somewhere between all of that, I drained our house of anything closely resembling junk food too and Heather and her lovely family even brought me the best tasting Blizzard I've ever had in my life...I don't think I fueled very well.  Anyway, I was tired but not too sore until I got up to go to bed and then I realized that my hip really hurt.  I've been fighting with my hamstring for quite a while and have self-diagnosed it as a proximal hamstring strain (I actually can't find the site that diagnosed myself on, but that one seems fairly pertinent too).  It is kind of always there but doesn't keep me from running and I'm working on strengthening my hips and core and overall legs as a preventative/curing measure but I've never had too much issue with my hip.  By the time I went to bed the whole back side of my right leg was stiff and sore from my hip down to my Achilles and even around into my shin.  I had to get up in the middle of the night to re-up on ibuprofen so that I could sleep.  Unfortunately, I didn't get much relief on Sunday (if anything, sitting through church made it worse) and I did the smart thing and texted Heather to let her know I wasn't going to get up early to run today.  I've since decided to take the whole day off and may or may not look into making up the mileage tomorrow.  Not the best way to start a new training plan, but better to take a little bit of mileage off now than take a whole lot off later when it really matters...or so I keep telling myself.  I am feeling quite a bit better today and have been pretty diligent with my foam rolling so I have good expectations.  

So, the second thing that makes today THE DAY is that Oregon is going to be playing in the National Championship football game!!!! We are all so excited.  I think it's going to be a great game.  I don't think by any means it will be an easy game for the Ducks, but if we've ever had a chance to win the national title it's with this team on this day.  If you don't have a team to root for (and even if you do) you should enjoy a few hours rooting for my ducks...it will be well worth your time.  5:30pm PST on ESPN


3 comments:

JustTrying Kim said...

Go Ducks!

Diana Martinez said...

Looks like a pretty place to run - sorry you ended up hurt!

Pahla Bowers said...

Love the Monty Python quote!! I hope your hammy heals quickly. I deal with low grade weakness/soreness/pain in my hammy, too. Thankfully, it hasn't stopped me yet. So excited about your 50 mile adventure!