Wednesday, July 9, 2014

2014 Butte to Butte 10K Race Report - With Emmeline

This is the first year that we have actually been in town for 4th of July weekend so I was super excited to sign up for Eugene's Butte to Butte 10K.  I was even more excited that Emme wanted to run it with me! After last year's Pre, I knew she'd be able to handle this race quite well.  This year, we decided to change our costumes up a bit and go with sparkle skirts instead of tutus.  Let me just say, that was a HUGE mistake.  The sparkle skirts did not work well, I could not sew on the fabric and the tutorial I used, although easy to follow, did not make the flowy skirt I was hoping for.  However, after an extremely late night, several curses and swears, maybe even a few tears and lots of help from my mom, who was luckily in town, we finally had our outfits ready to go.

Even though it wasn't quite what I had envisioned, we felt quite festive and had plenty of extra material to throw some capes into the mix, which definitely gave us some added pizzaz, not to mention amazing super powers!
I wasn't all that sure how the race would go, because Emme and I had only run once together.  She had been doing the distance workouts at track, but the mileage was questionable.  I figured, however, that she was a pretty tough cookie and would grit it out one way or another.

Calvin, my mom and sister, gave us a ride to the start.  Dan and the other littles walked from our house to around the 4 mile marker so that they could cheer us on mid race.  Before too long, we were lined up and ready to run.
 Unlike the Prefontaine Memorial Run, which is essentially 6 miles of up and downness, the Butte to Butte is 1 mile up, 1 mile down and then the remaining 4 miles are relatively flat.  Emme was a beast on the uphill.  She ran the whole way except for a small bit where she took to the side for a quick maple bar pickup.
The donut gave her the energy she needed to summit the climb and despite the ache she felt in her belly on the way down the hill, she was pretty sure that it had nothing to do with the donut.  "It must have been the bagel I had for breakfast."  Yes, Emme, I'm sure that was it.  Before too long, the hills were over and we were on to the flat part.

Unfortunately, I forgot my watch, but I tried to take splits on my phone.  Mile 1 = 10:36, definitely not too bad for uphill and eating donuts.  Mile 2  = 8:34, gravity played a huge role in that one.  (Those were the only two splits I remember though and I accidentally deleted them off my phone.)

Once we hit the flat parts and the distance started adding up, Emme's confidence waned a bit.  She took a bit longer at the water stops, we started walking some stretches and we even stopped for a bit at the portapotties.  It didn't take too much to get her rallied again though so we never lost that much time.  Mostly she was really happy and enjoying the atmosphere.
Flying down the hill.
Mid race selfie
 Lady Liberty was running the race too, but Emmeline refused to get any closer for a photo op.  I think I might have been embarrassing her a little bit.
 She went through a pretty big stretch of walking towards the end of mile 4 but I reminded her that we'd be coming up to Dan and the kids pretty soon and they'd want to see her running.
Picutre of Dan taking a picture of us. 
Leona picked some festive flowers.
Euan hiding from everyone.
And then we were off again.  After the stop to see Dan and the kidlets, Emme rallied for quite a bit.  Once we hit mile 5 though and we were running through downtown, she began to really struggle, so I pulled out the fishing trick.  I let her pick out a fish, the first one was a girl wearing flag shorts, we cast out our line and reeled her in fairly quickly.  The next "fish" was a girl in Emme's grade.  We also made short work of her, although we had to do it quite stealthily because Emme didn't want her friend to see her.  After that we picked another lady in a flashy tank followed by a boy in bright green.  Our last fish, the boy in the green, took a fair amount of reeling before we were able to pass him.  I don't think he liked being past by us though so we played leap frog with him several times before he ultimately out sprinted us at the end.

Right around mile 6, Emme started to shut down.  She was really hurting and practically crying as she ran along chanting, "I want to stop, I want to stop, I want to stop!" I told her three things: 1. It's too hard to run while crying (trust me, I know). 2.  No one stops at mile 6 of a 6.2 mile race and 3.  She needed to be more positive.  I guess that's all it took because all of a sudden she said, "I want to go, I want to go!" and she did.  She was off and I literally had to sprint to finish close behind her.
Green shirt boy, just in front of her.
After we finished, I thought for sure she was going to say how much she hated it, but instead all she could do was gush about how much fun she had and that she can't wait to do it next year.  That was before she even had the yummy pizza, chocolate milk and found out that not only had she PR'd (1:03:50 a 2 minute PR) but she was fast enough for a 3rd place finish (out of 10) in her 10 and under age group!
It was a beautiful day for a race, Emme and I had a blast and, as always, Eugene put on a great show.  I honestly don't ever want to live anywhere else.
(Thanks for the pics, Stephnie!)
Here's what Emme has to say about the race, in her own typing:

Ok so here are a few things I think my mom left out. I didn't want her to talk about the portapottie, but since she did I think it's important to note that the one I went in was out of TP and I had to wait until my mom could get me some.  Also, at one point by the south eugene track on the bridge there was a woman with a water  buffalo hat on and a person running next to us said "Tatonka". I didn't get it at first but my mom was laughing and she explained that it is from a movie, Dances with Wolves, my aunt Stephanie's favorite.  My favorite sign said "Let's go  kick some butte". Get it? :-) I had a good time and the donut was really good.  Next year I want a chocolate one!

3 comments:

Amanda@runninghood said...

This is so so awesome that you enjoyed this with your daughter!! I love this. How did you guys train for this? Did you run with her or did she kind of just jump in on race day? Sorry if you mentioned that before. You two look so cute! Congrats to he for getting out there and for you for being such a great mom for her to look up to!

Stephanie said...

You are welcome even though you spelled my name wrong ;) haha
As always I love reading your blog

Stephanie said...

I love it!!! How fun to do it together! I hope that I can get my boys to do a race with me. :)