Monday, May 5, 2014

Fate as a woodpecker...

Saturday, we did 20 miles.  It went well.  It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't bad.  I feel like I recovered quickly from it.  I did take an ice bath afterwards...I think that helped.

Today, however, Heather had decided in an effort to give her body more recovery time, she wanted to sleep in a bit and not go on our normal Monday morning early run, which left me running solo.  All day yesterday, I was trying to decide what I wanted to do.  I had 3 options, get up early and run by myself, sleep in and take Euan and Jonny out in the stroller or wait until after dinner and family night and run in the dark.  All the way up until I was getting ready for bed, I couldn't decide what I wanted to do.  I had narrowed it down to getting up early or taking the stroller but still couldn't make up my mind.  Dan was getting sick of hearing my pros and cons to both scenarios.  Finally, I decided that I would get my running clothes ready for an early morning run but that I wouldn't set my alarm.  If I happened to be awake around 5:30 then I would get up and go, if not then stroller running it would be...it was up to fate.

Of course throughout the night, I woke up several times to look at the clock... is it time to run? Nope, it's 1:30.  How about now? Nope, 3:45.  Then I was sound asleep and probably would've slept soundly right up until it was time to get the kiddos up for school except this really loud knocking sound woke me up.  Repeatedly, banging somewhere out side my house.  Uggggh, that woodpecker.  What time is it? 5:19am.  Of course it is.  5:19, one minute before my alarm would've gone off had I set it to get in 8 miles this morning.  So, what did I do? I shut our bedroom window, closed my eyes and said, if I can fall back asleep easily then I'm meant to sleep in.  Of course I didn't fall asleep, instead I just laid there trying to decide if I should get up or not.  Ultimately getting up won... I had left it up to fate after all, and fate came in the form of a woodpecker this morning.

I'm glad to have the miles done and now that it's getting to be time to get Leona off to school and it is pouring outside I'm doubly glad that I don't have to try and get Jonny and Euan ready for a stroller run. Maybe fate knows what it's doing after all.

This picture isn't from today (it was overcast and rainy) but it was from our Friday morning run...a nice reminder of why I really do love running in the morning.  It really is one of the best ways to start a day.

2 comments:

Raina R. said...

We have a flicker that keeps waking us up here too. It is ridiculous. And we have a cat that has it's own alarm set-up. 3 am? It's cat o'clock!
Glad you got the run in! That bridge looks familiar...

Dick said...

We could always send you Sherman. There's a possibility that he'd take care of your woodpecker (thereby saving repairs on your house) and he consistently wakes us up at 5:10. He doesn't have the most melodious voice, but it beats an alarm clock.