Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Happy Wednesday...

So, apparently, yesterday when I blogged, and wished everyone a "Happy Monday" it turns out it was actually Tuesday.  Hmmm, ever completely lose a day?!  I was thinking it was Monday, all the way up until I read the comments wishing me a "happy Tuesday" and "almost Wednesday", right before I was headed to bed.  Oops.

Anyway, since this is technically a running blog, I suppose I should blog about running a little bit here and there.  I think I was hesitant to do so because I didn't want to jinx myself, but the ankle/Achilles issue that I had been having seems to pretty much healed after 6 weeks off and 3 weeks in a boot.  What's even better, is despite taking all of that time off, I seem to be bouncing back pretty well.  Hooray!  I've been running fairly consistently since January 1st, including a few speedwork sessions, some hill repeats and even a double digit run (barely, it was 10 miles).  I'm trying to be smart about things, including icing, foam rolling, working in some legit cross/strength training and really not pushing it too hard... yet.  For example, today Heather and I did 800 repeats.  We had 5 on the schedule but ended up calling it good at 4.  Heather suggested maybe just another 400, but my ankle was starting to speak up and despite the injury it does to my pride, I'm trying really hard to listen.

It feels so good to be running.  My first decent run, happened when the kids and I were visiting my parents in Klamath Falls.  As much as I love running in the green and leafy world of the Willamette Valley and Oregon Coast, sometimes a trip out in to the farmlands of Southern Oregon makes for a great change of scenery... at least the sun is usually shining.
 When I was little I was extremely fascinated (who am I kidding, I'm still somewhat obsessed) with cattails.  I always wanted to bring them home and my parents never would let me.  I vaguely remember one time though, when I was obnoxious enough to get my way.  The problem is, once cattails reach a certain age, the rich fuzzy brown turns to an obscene amount of white fluffy stuff that gets everywhere, which means all over a dresser and bedroom floor I would imagine, although I don't remember cleaning it up.
So, anyway, running seems to be going well.  I think on the schedule for this year is a 5K in March (hopefully a new PR), a half in May, possibly a fun 2 day self-supported run sometime in June, an ultra in July (either a 50K or a 50m... jury is still out on how ambitious I'm feeling) and then a marathon in September.  Heather made us up a nice training plan that should keep us busy for the next 9 months.  I'm really looking forward to it.

3 comments:

EB said...

I've been off all week too! :)

Beautiful run. I am so jealous of your scenery!

Diana Martinez said...

Yay for things to look forward to! That's always fun. =)

Pahla Bowers said...

Hooray for healing! And cattails. I vividly remember the feeling of rubbing my hands on them as a child. What a mystery those crazy things were/are. Glad I never had to clean one up! :)