Friday, May 31, 2013

Just a quickie...

I'm heading out in a few hours to Newport to meet up with my good friends Heather and Audrey for the Newport Marathon.  It will be Heather's fastest (I know she has doubts, but assuming her Achilles cooperates, I know she can do it) and Audrey's first.

I'm really super excited.  However, when I woke up this morning, I said to Dan, "Do you ever have those mornings where you wake up and say to yourself, 'I don't think I could possibly run 26 miles tomorrow?!'"  To which, he replied, "Every single day."  Ha!  Seriously though, when I got out of bed this morning, I felt like everything hurt and I immediately began questioning my training and my goals and whether or not I'd even be able to finish a marathon, let alone race one.  After a few short hours of getting ready and trading texts with the girls though, I've pushed all that negativity aside and am really looking forward to the race... not to mention the girls weekend away.

As far as the race goes, I have some pretty lofty goals in the back of my mind and I honestly don't think I'll know until about halfway through the race if I'm going to really go for them or not.  They involve negative splits beginning at about the 15 mile mark, so it gives me the opportunity to assess how I'm feeling and either go for it or maintain, as best as possible, my current pace for a still pretty decent time.  I know no matter what it takes, I don't plan to walk away from that race without a PR.  I WILL NOT go out TOO fast and I will finish STRONG and most importantly, with a SMILE on my face.

It's shaping up to be a gorgeous weekend.  Whatever you're running or doing, do it with a smile and enjoy!  Happy Friday.  :)


3 comments:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Good luck at Newport! I hear this is a good one...can't wait to hear all about your success.

Zaneta said...

Happy Friday to you too!! Good luck at Newport!! You've got it! :) Think positive girl! :)

Raina said...

Hey there, girl. It was so good seeing you and THANK YOU for getting a picture of us and letting me post it. You are always a beauty :)
I sure would like to know how your splits went. And if you ran with that camelback thing on the whole time...did you like it?