Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy April... It's Marathon Month!!

I can't believe that it is April already!  That means, in just 27 days is the Eugene Marathon!!  I'm sooo excited!!! (If you couldn't tell by the excessive use of exclamation points.)

Saturday, I did my last (of 3) 20+ mile run.  The schedule called for 20-21 but I wanted to go 22, so I planned for that instead.  It was a crazy busy day, Emme had her first track meet that she needed to be to at 9:15 and Calvin had a soccer jamboree that he and Dan needed to be to by 12:30, not too mention that it was the day before Easter and I had promised the kids an Easter egg hunt in the backyard.  The only chance to get my run in then was to do it early and do it fast(ish).  It went great... well except for the part where I crashed and burned at mile 5.  (More on that in a bit.)  I was out of the house shortly after 4:40 and headed on my favorite 20+ mile out and back run route that gives me several miles along the Pacific Ocean.  It was clear and beautiful, with a bright moon and hardly any traffic.  I missed the tempo part of my tempo run earlier in the week, so I decided that I'd throw in about 5 miles of race pace, to keep things interesting and also ensure that I made it home in time to get Emme ready for her meet.  The plan was miles 3 through 8 to be sub 8ish.

The run felt really pretty good and I had a nice rhythm going until shortly after mile 5 when I stepped off the road to make sure I was well out of the way of some early morning traffic and managed to hit some wayward asphalt and go flying.  It didn't help that I was running quickly at the time in addition to fueling.  I hit hard.  My first thought was really?!  My second thought was,  "Better stop your watch."  My third thought was,  "I sure hope you didn't ruin your race day outfit that you felt the need to test out one, more time!"  My fourth thought was, "I sure hope those cars didn't see me fall and feel the need to turn around and check on me."  Luckily they didn't.  I stood up and surveyed the damage.  My knee was scraped and bloody with a huge knot on the top of it, but luckily no blood on my socks (ha!), my left toe felt bruised as did my left elbow and both of my palms were full of sand and asphalt chunks.  In addition, the vanilla clif shot I had been sucking down and managed to keep hold of was covered in sand.  Blech.  I used my hydration pack to clean up the best I could.  I thought about just opening the bladder and pouring out the water, but that seemed too much effort and the chance for a bigger mess so instead I just sucked water through the bite valve and spit it in my hands... yeah, super hygienic, I know.  My knee felt a little stiff and my palms were stinging.  I contemplated heading back home and calling it a day at 10 miles, but I really didn't want to do that.  I also contemplated a much more relaxed pace, but had lost a fair amount of time with the crash, so decided to continue on with my race pace in an effort to beat the clock.

The rest of the run was fairly uneventful.  I made it to and along the beach without incident.  I washed up with ocean water and looked a little more closely at the inflicted damage as the light came up and discovered that I was probably going to make it.  I then turned around and headed home.  On the way back, I couldn't help but stop and take a couple pictures runner's death trap.

It didn't look too menacing in the light of day, but, trust me, under the dim light of the moon, aided only by a flimsy headlamp, those asphalt clumps were really carefully plotted land mines.
All in all,  I was very pleased with my pace and, crash withstanding, had an enjoyable long run.
Dan, was kind enough to offer his services as injury documenter for your viewing pleasure:


Then it was on to the rest of the day.  Emme's track meet went well.  She ran the 60, the 100 and did shot put and softball throw.  Her philosophy is to start with the shorter events and work her way up.  I think, however, we have her convinced that next weekend she should try the 400 or 800.  It was a beautiful day and she had a lot of fun.  She placed 2nd or 3rd (not sure) in the 60 and 4th or 5th in the 100.  We have no idea about her throwing events.
The biggest problem she had was constantly looking side to side while she was running.  Here's proof of that:  (she's the yellow shorts, looking to the side)
Source
She was seriously like a sideways bobble head for the entire 100, I'm honestly surprised she was able to run in a straight line the way she was constantly looking back and forth.  :)  I'm so glad she had a good time though.

As soon as Emme's meet was over, we jammed out to Calvin's soccer jamboree.  He had an awesome time playing in several shorter games as well as participating in a skills clinic.  (He's the blonde.)

Then we cruised on home and luckily had a leftover lasagna dinner before a quick Easter egg hunt in the backyard... but I'll save that for another post.

It was a super busy and kind of hectic day and by the time it was over, I was read for sleep, but it was still a great day nonetheless.  The younger 3 kids enjoyed the sunshine and Leona can't wait until she can do track, she was running and running on the sidelines.

I'm sure you'll be happy to know (because I can sense your concern permeating through the computer screen... can you sense my sarcasm?) that I'm healing up nicely.  My scrapes are okay, the swelling in my knee has gone down and even though some new bruises (fairly large) on my hip, elbow and shoulder have emerged, I do believe I'll live to run another day.

11 comments:

Diana Martinez said...

Ow, ow, ow! I am so impressed that you kept on going. Pretty sure I would have turned tail and whimpered all the way home. I hope you don't have any post-fall soreness!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

You fell that hard, then ran 15 more miles? You are going to do great at Eugene.

Micha said...

I was waiting for you to say "April Fools!" until the photojournalistic element hit. I add my voice to those that can't believe you kept going. You are seriously amazing.

BeePieRuns said...

Ouch! You're a beast! Obviously, meant in the sweetest most complimentary way :-)

Janet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet said...

You are my awesome running star. I'm not surprised you finished. You are a North under the Higgins after all. It does look like it really hurt though. Good job for continuing.


Zaneta said...

Busy day!!
Way to get up and keep going after your tumble!! Looks like you may be sore for a day or two! Thank goodness you didn't mess up your race day outfit! ;) lol

Heather said...

Awesome run! You are totally going to smoke it in Eugene! Even the asphalt's effort to take you out early didn't derail you. Thanks for keeping me motivated for my long runs. :)

Marci said...

I just really miss you. Thanks for the update. I'm glad to see that you are still the bomb!

greengirlrunning said...

I just found your blog as I was searching for Eugene Marathon race reports and I'm so glad I did! I'm running Eugene this year for the first time and was hoping to read a great report to get all pumped up. I read yours from 2011 and it got me so excited for this race!
You are hard core falling like that and then continuing your run, very nice ;) Looking forward to following along.

Brandon Pepper said...

It’s so cool that your entire family is active and into a lot of sports. You guys are living a very healthy lifestyle. I have yet to discover what sport I am to pursue, but I have been jogging around and playing badminton every now and then.

Brandon Pepper