Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Eugene Marathon Course Preview

With less than half a dozen days until race time, I can think of little else outside of Eugene.  I haven't run in Eugene since December and I haven't really run in Eugene since before Euan was born, almost a year ago.  The thing I love so much about the Eugene Marathon, is that it is my course.  With an exception of the section that runs through Springfield, I could probably run the course with my eyes closed and not miss anything... I know it that well.  I am excited to get back to Eugene and spend those 26.2 miles running around my town on the routes that I love so much.

Before I ran Eugene 2 years ago, I drove around the course with my kiddos and took pictures from various locations and did a nice little write up about the course.  I'd love to do an updated version but unfortunately will not be in Eugene until race day eve.  So, if you're interested in my take on the course, you can check it out HERE.  I'm pretty sure that everything is about the same, except my kiddos won't be cheering by our old house... they won't even be in Eugene to cheer at all.  But that's okay, there will be plenty of other Eugenians out cheering.

The Eugene Marathon website has the official course maps, as well as this awesome highlight video from last year.  I was ready to go and excited, but now, after watching highlights from last year, I can't wait!!


Eugene Marathon 2012 from Matthew Barnhart on Vimeo.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Oh man...that tempts me to jump in as a rogue runner this weekend!!! Looks like so much fun!
Though the video left me with 2 questions: 1) why did NONE of those runners look nearly as bad as I do when I cross the finish line of a marathon??? and 2) a girl was holding a sign saying "kill the hill." What hill??? I thought you said Martin St. was about as uphill as any portion of the course gets.

Run with Jess said...

Thanks for the video! This year is my first trip and run in Eugene, marathon #5. So excited to run and praying for a PR!

Diana Martinez said...

Can't wait to read all about it! =)

Jenna Lovell said...

Holy cow, that video got me all emotional and choked up. Can you believe I still have yet to officially register for a race? I'm going to do it someday, I promise!