Thursday, April 25, 2013

Channelling Pre.

Last night, around about 9pm, miss Emmeline got out of bed to tell us that she left her phone at the track.  Figuring that if there was a chance that it was still there at 9 at night, it would most likely still be there at 5:30 in the morning, so I opted to make Marshfield High School my run destination this morning.   I only had 3 miles on the schedule and after mapping it out  realized the trip would be closer to 4 but decided that would be just fine.  My only real concern was whether or not the track would be open.  Turns out it wasn't.

The first two gates I came to (the one I was hoping to go through) and a second chance/last resort one were locked up tight.  I knew that scaling the fence could prove problematic because, well, the top is covered in barbed wire and I was wearing my "race day" socks (testing them out with newish shoes one last time before Sunday)... couldn't chance a snag.  Ha!  I decided to go up towards the campus where I could call Emme's phone and look down into the stands to see if it lit up.
not my picture (it was dark when I was there and also the track isn't black anymore), but roughly where I was standing
I had no such luck.  I decided to cruise a bit more around the upper levels of the campus that parallel the track to see if there was a spot of the fence that I could get over.  I came to a spot that wasn't protected prison style and got closer to see how scaling it would go.  It turned out that there was another gate, that although appeared locked was able to be opened enough that I could get through.  Huge score!  Wary of all the "no trespassing signs" (as if the barbed wire wasn't enough to warn me I shouldn't be there) I turned off my head lamp and went into stealth mode.  A quick trip down a hill and around the corner to the stands and I was happy to find Emme's phone was in approximately the same place she had described it would be.  Double score!

As  I headed back towards the gate, I ran on the track and across the finish line.
I couldn't help but think about how the next time I run across a track finish line it will be in Eugene on Hayward field.  That of course made me think of Steve Prefontaine (I put a link there in case, heaven forbid, you don't know who he is) and how I was standing on the very finish line that he got his start, that I had run past the house his parents used to live in and along the sidewalks that he frequented on the way to school.
All of a sudden, my rescue mission, turned into a beautiful run.  It felt amazing to be out in the predawn morning, simply enjoying myself... doing what I love, not just what was on my schedule.

The rest of my run was wonderful.  I stopped at Mingus Park to take some pictures of a "duck" (I put it in quotations, because it was some sort of hybrid creature that looked like a duck, but not really) that is smart enough to use the crosswalk on his way to the pond:
and I collected some wildflowers for my windowsill.
I got home a little later than planned but was still greeted by a sleeping, peaceful house.  All in all, it was a great way to start my day and end this training session.  Next run, 26.2 miles.  I'm ready.


(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Love this post! Can't wait for Sunday morning!

Diana Martinez said...

Great post! Love that "duck," whatever he is. Good luck this weekend!!!

BeePie Runs said...

Loved reading this! Good luck on Sunday!!

Marci said...

Of course I absolutely love this post. You are ready! You are the best!

Heather said...

Knowing how much you like signs, I'm pretty sure this is all a sign that the stars have aligned for an awesome race for you this weekend. I think Emme subconsciously left the phone at the track to put in motion the events signifying a perfect weekend. You've got Pre smiling down on you, the "Duck" beckoning you back to Eugene, and beautiful flowers sending happy thoughts. You are READY!

Jenna Lovell said...

I like the way Heather put it :). Fun post :)!