Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Sometimes I enjoy being wrong...

It doesn't happen very often, but occasionally I'm not 100% correct.  This time had to do with the looming stomach flu that I was just positive Jonny would pass on to everyone so that we could enjoy a lovely spring break sequestered to our sick beds.  Luckily, Jonny is the only one that showed any real symptoms.  Euan, might have been a little pukey on Sunday, but he might have also just been trying to get out of church... he's a smart one, I wouldn't put it past him.

Saturday, I just couldn't bring myself to get up early for my long run.  Euan woke up at 5:15 (15 minutes before my alarm was set to go off) so I brought him into our bed to cuddle with Dan but then decided to climb back in too.  I thought maybe I'd push my run back to 6:30 or so.  My main reason for running early on Saturdays is so that I won't take up family time but I figured with a whole week of "family time" (minus Dan) looming ahead, a nice long run in the middle of the day just might get me through it.  6 came and went as did 7am.  Sleeping was wonderful.  We finally got up and my goal was to leave by 8am.  Then I helped with breakfast.  My goal was 9am.  Then I encouraged Dan to go for  run.  I finally left the house a little after 10am.  It was lovely.  The sun was out, there wasn't much wind and I had a nice 15 peaceful miles to myself.   My Garmin did go a little wonky though... either that or I was abducted by aliens (which could explain a lot).  Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 mile from my house I hit some sort of warp zone (or alien abduction) and Gertie (my Garmin) decided to add 4/10 of a mile to the distance I had travelled.  I looked down to discover my pace was 4:45 and that I had already covered .83 miles when I wasn't even .5 miles from my house.  After she clicked over to 1 mile, my pace went back to normal and the distance between miles was much more accurate.  The rest of the run was uneventful.

Anyway, spring break is off to a decent start.  We spent yesterday deep cleaning the kids' rooms.  Today, sometime after I get in 8 miles (6 at race pace) on Stanley, I think we'll donate our junk no longer needed treasures to Goodwill and hopefully hit up a park.  It is of course grey and kind of miserable looking outside, but I fear if we wait for the sun to shine, we'll never leave home.

In other news, I've been hoarding Brooks Green Silence, since they are no longer making them.  I woke up the other day in a panic because I don't know what I'm going to wear when the ones I have are all used up.  This prompted an Internet search to see what I could come up with.  Nothing in my size!!  Then I realized I should try the men's version and I was able to come up with 1 pair (that wasn't full price, I refuse to pay full price), so I ordered them right away.

Not too long ago, I came across a pair at Ross also (I know, right?!  I was so excited.), so I have currently have 2 pair that I'm rotating and 2 pair that I have yet to wear.  That should get me through this year and maybe into next.  Maybe by then, they'll decide to bring them back?!

In other, non-running news, we finally had out St. Patrick's Day dinner.  It was only a week late.  It was worth the wait though.  It was really tasty.  This year Dan roasted the cabbage, which, not being a cabbage fan, I have to admit almost made it palatable.  My contribution, as always, was the Irish Soda bread... yummy!!


1 comment:

Catey said...

Hey! I totally caught up on your blog last night and then didn't get time to comment. So now it looks like I'm just commenting because you commented on mine. lol
Euan is adorable-can't believe how grown up he is getting! What are these babies thinking?

So glad the stomach flu hasn't stuck around, hope your spring break is going great!
You are killing the training-can't wait to hear about your race!