Monday, February 25, 2013

Of zombies and the inevitable zombie apocalypse...

I'm sure that I've spent way too much of my intelligence thinking about zombies and what I would do in the event of a zombie apocalypse.  One might even go as far as considering me somewhat obsessed.  I'm not sure where my fascination stems from... I'm not a big fan of scary movies or creepy things, but I've always had a softness in my heart for zombies.  Maybe it's because most of my life I've been a quick thinking distance runner and well, lets face it, zombies are usually depicted as being slow moving beings with not much going on in their minds outside of "must eat brains/living things".  I guess I feel confident that unless I found myself in a zombie horde situation, I would be able to escape.

I also feel that between The Walking Dead (the tv show, not the graphic novel, although I'd like to read it) and Zombieland (my favorite guilty pleasure movie) I kind of have a feel for fighting zombies and could definitely handle my own.  Plus, I'm pretty certain that before Game of Thrones (the show and the novels) reaches it's conclusion I'll be able to take on frozen zombies too.  That's not even to mention the research I've done by reading  The Forest of Hands and Teeth series (I might not be able to outrun some of their zombies) and will do when I finally get around to reading Pride and Prejudice Zombies and Warm Bodies (it's probably important to understand zombie love too).  I've also read half a dozen other zombie novels, but at the moment I can't think of a single other title.  And then their is ZombieRunner, I'm sure that purchasing running gear from them will make me more zombie savvy as well.  Ha!

Anyway, as far as zombies go, I think I'm ready to survive the apocalypse.  The thing that has me worried, however, are the luxuries that I will miss when the world shuts down.  #1 on my list has definitely got to be Google.  When I'm not out running away from zombies, most likely I'll be holed up somewhere with nothing to do but think random thoughts.  Well, my random thoughts tend to come in spurts of random questions, which when Dan doesn't have the answer to, I ask my good friend Google.  Such as, When and why did women start shaving their legs? or What is the most random question ever asked? and even more useful things like What should I make for dinner tonight? or How much does skywriting cost?, not to mention My kids are driving me crazy, what should I do with them?, or even more importantly, How tall is Daniel Craig and does he ever vacation on the Oregon Coast? (hmm, not any very good results with that one.) In the event of a zombie apocalypse I'm sure I would come up with some really good questions that I would have to find answers too... what would I do without Google?!

Do you believe in zombies?  What will you miss most during the zombie apocalypse?  What is the most random thing you've ever asked Google?  My philosophy with Google is, there is no question too strange and you must be specific... it's amazing how many people have the same random questions.  Also, sometimes Google is self-aware... it seems to know the question you want to ask before you even ask it... crazy stuff.

In non-zombie news, I had a nice and easy 13 mile run on Saturday.  It was a step back week between the 16 last week followed by the upcoming 20.  It was a great run with nothing too exciting except for the little bit of time where only 1 mile after thinking about all the pretty blossoms I was seeing on the trees and how excited I was that spring was coming I got pelted by hail for a solid 5 minutes!  

5 comments:

Kristen Lawrence said...

I kinda really like you on the first post of yours I have ever read. We have two favorite things in common...zombies & Daniel Craig. Love! I'm crazy about them both and excited to get some book ideas from the ones you've mentioned. Right now I am reading World War Z...not what I expected but still interesting!

BeePieRuns said...

I love that to you the zombie apocalypse isn't an "if" it's a "when". Cracks me up :-)

Janet said...

You're all crazy. There will never be any zombies but I agree the shows can be fun to watch.

Marci said...

I want you on my team when they come. You know that this is serious business in this family and you have just the skill set we need. Also if everyone else dies we can marry our kids to each other and create a new population of awesome zombie killing human beings.

Jan said...

Confession: I don't even know what a zombie is. LOL I swear to all things holy I don't. Is it a ghost or a walking dead person?

Glad you ha a good long run. I don't see how 13 miles could ever be "nice and easy," but glad it was for you! :)