Thursday, January 24, 2013

Family Hike

We have had some amazingly sunny and almost warm days here on the Oregon Coast.  Monday was another one of those days and since Dan and the kids were home due to the holiday, we planned a family hike.  We decided to go in the afternoon when the temperatures would be the warmest and also a great time to wear the kiddos out before bed.  This also gave me the opportunity to enjoy a lovely, sunshiny 5 mile run right in the middle of the day.  Too bad Dan can't just hang out at home with us every day...

Anyway, we went to the South Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve and really had a pretty great time hiking on a couple different trails.  Here are way too many pictures of our adventure:


 I love mossy trees.
 There was a really cool boardwalk, that ran through the swamp estuary for a large section.  It was also very slippery... I'm quite surprised we didn't lose anyone over the side.



 Jonny is in a mellow/serious stage in life.  Ha!

Yep, Euan was there too. 
 The tunnel trail, was a series of tree made tunnels.
 I also love mushrooms.



 I'm a fan of bridges...
and Instagram... and my phone, which really takes pretty decent pictures.

By the time we made it back to our car, we were all ready to be done.  Emme was wearing the now empty backpack.  I was carrying Euan, who had decided he was done being in the backpack and Dan was carrying Jonny and coaxing Leona along, while Calvin was leading the way with a stick that a few too many times almost took out his sisters.  I think we clocked about 2 miles round trip... which is a fair amount for the little legs in our family.  Plus, if you take into consideration that none of them can walk in a straight line... "Ooh, look at that."  "Hey quick, over here."  "Come climb this log with me."  "Let's go under the bridge."...they easily added at least another half mile to that.

Our evil plan (muah ha ha... that's my sinister laugh) worked quite well though, as we had all 5 of our kids, in bed and asleep quite early... of course, we pretty much passed out shortly after them though so it might have backfired a bit.  Although, one could argue that an early night to bed is sometimes just as good as quality kid free time.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Great pics. Looks like a fun time by all. We'll need to add that to our list of things to do whenever we get out there for a visit.

Marci said...

That hike looks amazing! I am so glad you posted more photos of your fam because I miss you guys so much. My girls loved looking at them. We are going to have to come soon for a visit.

BeePieRuns said...

What a fun day! I love instagram too - makes me feel like I'm artistic :)

Kristin said...

beautiful pics! Sounds like a great family day.

me/mom/NANA said...

Beautiful photos and I love all photos of trees but I don't think I have ever seen one like the moss covered one. It is really cool. No wonder the kids had a great time and were so tired afterwards. Fun day!

Micha said...

When we first moved to Oregon I took pictures of moss covered trees every time I saw them. They are really incredible. Gorgeous pictures and it looks like such a great time!

Stephanie said...

Oh I do miss all the beautiful hikes in Oregon. Love it! And great pictures. :)