Monday, December 24, 2012

18 Weeks...

There are 18 weeks and 1 day until the 2013 Eugene Marathon.  That means that marathon training officially starts.... TODAY!!!!!  Seriously, who decides to pick a training plan that starts on Christmas Eve and quickly picks up speed during the last two weeks of the year?!  I guess it's a good way to get through the holidays... we'll see.  On tap for today is 4 to 5 miles nice and easy... I have a feeling that this week, at least, I'll be doing the lower number options.  (I'm following the "Own It" marathon training plan from Train Like a Mother.)

Speaking of holidays, did I mention that tonight is Christmas Eve?!!  We have some pretty excited kids here in my house.  We did finally get a tree, well, we put up a tree... our tiny little fake tree that we used to take to yurting with us.  We have it set up on the aquarium stand (which someday might hold an aquarium) with lights wrapped around... it's our very own Christmas shrine.  We also taped the stockings above the fireplace and put up Big Head Elf Calvin.
Those decorations, added to a candle that "smells just like Christmas", windows covered in paper snowflakes and constantly streaming classical Christmas music from Pandora and we're finally starting to feel pretty festive here in Casa de los Higgins.  If nothing else, Euan love, love, loves the lights.
Tonight, when Dan gets home from work, we're going to take some yummy Christmas treats to some friends and our neighbors, then we're going to head out to Shore Acres to see all the pretty lights, then we will come home and open up our Christmas jammies and a game (Just Dance 4 this year... Shhh, it's a secret) to play as a family, then Emme has a Christmas play planned, and then we'll put out cookies and carrots for Santa and his Reindeer before going to sleep.  Fun, fun, fun!!

So, after a little bit of panicking last week, I think we (meaning I) managed to get into the Christmas mood and am now almost as excited as the kids.  Tonight is Christmas Eve, tomorrow is Christmas, Wednesday is Emme's 9th birthday, Thursday is our 11th anniversary, then Friday the kids and I are going to go to Klamath Falls to hang out with family.  It will be a busy week, but it will be great.  I hope everyone has a super fantastic Christmas filled with lots of fun, lots of family & loved ones and a fair amount of running sprinkled in too!


4 comments:

Micha said...

AH!!! I LOVE Just Dance 4. Your family will have a blast with it. It makes my heart happy to see the kids loving songs like Rock Lobster and Istanbul that were staples for me in high school. Oh, the good 'ol days. Happy Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary/Running week!

Korin Lopez said...

I just started my training today too! It is almost 11 at night and my five year old is still not asleep! He is just way to excited to sleep :) Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

The Tewksburys said...

I am following the same plan for the Eugene Marathon as well! I have ran the Eugene 1/2 twice before but this will be my first full marathon ever! Happy training! :)

Heather said...

Oh boy...now I feel pressure...pressure to identify my training plan for June. I have no doubt you'll be in tip top shape to rock the race in April! Hope your Christmas was merry and bright!