Wednesday, November 21, 2012

6 Months

I can't believe how fast time is going.  My little fuzzball of a baby is half a year old today.  He's still a generally happy baby and easy to take care of.  He has however, decided that sleeping through the night is no longer the cool thing to do.  In fact, I think he's discovered that the more times he can wake up in one night and not go back to sleep on his own, the cooler he will be... despite me trying to convince him otherwise.  It's probably not a good sign that he has already figured out that "mom doesn't know what is cool".
 Speaking of cool, he love, love, loves his toes.  I've always looked forward to the stage where my babies will lay on their backs and play with their toes.  It seems though that the first 4 never really did it much.  Euan is making up for their lack however and even goes as far as sucking on his toes.  Won't take a pacifier, rarely sucks on his thumb or fingers, but give him access to his toes and he's all about it.

He's definitely the kids' favorite toy and I'm constantly worried for his well being as he is being danced around, carried around, given things he shouldn't have, rolled over, rolled back over, being taught how to walk, being helped to sit... you name it they've probably attempted to get him to do it.  It's hard to explain to them that they need to be more careful with him though, when he is just laughing and laughing at them... "But mom, he loooooooves it!"  And he does, he absolutely loves everything they throw at him, espeically Jonny and Leona, in Euan's eyes, they can do no wrong.

As far as baby tricks go, he still hasn't quite mastered the sitting, but he's really close to having crawling figured out and he can roll and roll and roll to get at anything he wants.  I thought maybe he was kind of early on the crawling thing, but apparently Jonny was crawling by 6 months too so maybe they all were.

As far as running goes, I think I've done a decent job of getting back into it.  After Jonny was born, 6 months was where I really felt like I had really gotten into the running groove.  It was actually on his 6 month birthday that I ran my first half marathon ever, the half that started all this crazy long distance racing desire.  I'm not sure if I'm back up to the speed that I was then, could I crank out a 1:46 half marathon today?  Hmmm, I'm not sure.  I do know though that I could handle the distance, so that I'll be happy with... the speed will come.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to test out that speed in a 5K, it's been a while since I raced a 5K and I'm kind of looking forward to it.  It is one of those prediction runs where you estimate what your finish time will be and then whoever comes closest to their time wins.  You can't wear a watch and I'm terrible at pacing so it could be interesting.  I don't even know what to aim for.  This will be my first Turkey Trot though and I'm excited.  I'm trying to convince my mom and sister to come do it too and maybe Emme. It is a walk/run so I'm pretty sure they could all handle the 3 miles (my mom is struggling with a knee injury otherwise it wouldn't take any convincing for her).

We're heading to Klamath Falls today to spend the holidays with family.  It is going to be a lot of fun, I have been looking forward to it for a long time.  Thanksgiving is definitely one of my favorite holidays.  I hope you all have a great weekend.  Enjoy some time with friends and family and eat some tasty treats and take a little extra time to think about all the many blessings that you have in your life.  Happy Thanksgiving Eve.

3 comments:

Amanda@runninghood said...

What a stinking cutie!! Love hearing how the other kids love him too! Happy Thanksgiving to you Kim!

Micha said...

You know how older siblings always think the younger ones get away with so much more than they did? I've decided the youngest earn it by being mauled constantly in their early years.

I hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving!

Raina said...

I can only imagine being that flexible! ha! My matthew was great at toe sucking too. It's fun to read about how your older kids relate and care for Euen. What a blessing!
You'll be back to speed before too long- and you'll be running ultras again too. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!