Friday, October 5, 2012

Just a little bribery...

It is 7:50 and I am still in bed.  This is amazing and pretty much unheard of.  Euan is chilling here with me and the rest of the kids (we don't have school on Fridays here... crazy, I know) are downstairs, cleaning up... ha ha, yeah right, most likely making more messes while watching cartoons.  I should get out of bed, make a nice nutritious breakfast, have a quick workout session with my good pal Jillian then get to crackin' on getting our house put back together.  Instead, I'm waisting time on the Internet while the day slowly creeps away.  We really do need to do some solid house cleaning today, and we will, the question is what is the best way to go about it...  I'm thinking that today is the day for bribes, sometimes it is the best way to get the desired outcome with the least amount of effort.  For starters,  I'm going to go ahead and pull the irresponsible parent card, load my kids up in the car, giving them a lovely and completely bad for them breakfast of donuts and hot chocolate then bring them back home and put them to work before the sugar can wear off.  Then we'll follow that up with the promise of a nice picnic lunch at the park/beach.

See, the best way to make bribes be successful is to bookend them.  This is how it works:  I give the kids  a little taste of how freaking awesome I can be, with something completely out of the blue like donuts for breakfast, no strings attached... ha!  Oh, and while we're at the store getting donuts I can say, "While we're here to get our donuts, there are just a couple quick things that I need to pick up" and before you know it I've had a successful shopping trip with all 5 kids along.  Then we get home and say, "Wow, those donuts were super tasty, wasn't that a nice thing for me to do for you?  Maybe now, we can do a little bit cleaning and then we do some more fun things after lunch."  Without realizing it, they are completely hooked, thinking that it was their idea to help with the cleaning, that they are returning a nice favor with promises of more fun things to come and oh yeah, that I'm the coolest mom ever... it isn't just daddy that can do treats for breakfast.  Either way, the cleaning will get done, but with a little subtle bribery thrown in the mix, it can be more fun for everyone.  At least that's how it all played out in my head.  I'll have to let you know how it really works.

And in my random, every post needs a picture feelings... here is proof that even sometimes fancy princesses need to take a bath... in the middle of the living room... in a suitcase filled with barbies... oh, yeah and she is a baby princess of course, if you couldn't tell by the miniature bottle in her mouth, hence the small bathtub.... otherwise she would have used the real tub, duh.
Jonny is so lucky that Euan ended up being a boy.  Ha!

5 comments:

runninglawyer said...

I love this post! It is an unspoken truth that subtle bribery can and should be used on your kids every once and a while to make your life easier!

LOVE the photo of the "princess bath" - how she thought of a bath in a suitcase is beyond me, hope it doesn't leak!

me/mom/NANA said...

We love this too. Is that the living room? The one room where no toys are allowed? Oh we'll, cleanliness is next to Godliness even for Princesses.

Jane said...

Hilarious!

Marci said...

Bookends! You are such a genius. I never cease to be amazed at what an awesome mom you are.

Rain said...

bribery does work! I hate doing it a lot....but I do it every once in awhile! We moms have to do what we have to do!!