Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Introducing... Stanley.


Isn't he so handsome.  :)
Truth be told, he is a little bit squeaky and a whole lot dusty, but that's probably to be expected after being neglected in a coastal garage for several years.  Stanley also may not be the top of the line when it comes to treadmills and he definitely isn't the newest, shiniest 'mill out there but I think he will be a nice fit into our running family.  (I say "our" because I do believe Dan has plans to get to know Stanley too.)  If nothing else, he runs quite well and was competitively priced (read, he worked well into my almost non-existent treadmill budget and already overextended running budget)... I ♥ Craigslist.

I took him for a nice little 4 mile test run this morning and I have to say that I'm very pleased.  At first I was concerned that with a treadmill at home I might be tempted to never venture out with the stroller again but rest assured, that will not be the case.  As exciting as it is to stare at the drywall in our garage (I need to do some decorating, kind of like they do for fish tanks, so that I can feel like I'm running somewhere) for miles on end, it leaves a little bit to be desired.  It will be lovely and quite convenient to be able to run any time during the day but no amount of treadmill running can ever replace the therapy that comes from running outdoors... I will definitely still work in some outside running time, with the stroller and by myself.  On those days where I can't or don't head out doors though, it will sure be nice to still be able to run.

I do see that the treadmill could become a problem though, as in I might be come even more addicted to running... "Ooh, the kids are napping, maybe just a quick couple of miles... Hmm, I could get this laundry folded or I could hop on for a quick run...  I'm freezing, I could do some housework to get warm (that was always my mom's suggestion, when I was little) or I could go for a run!"  Yeah, Stanley and I are going to be spending a lot of time together.

6 comments:

Rain said...

Craigslist is great, I agree. I hate running on a treadmill...no offense to your treadmill. But if I was home with kids, I would def need one so I could get some time in running. And it is nice when the weather is cooler for sure!

Marci said...

Yay!

Pahla Bowers said...

Awesome! I hope you and Stanley have many happy miles together! :)

mom of four monkeys said...

Now you just need a little tv down there for the kiddos to enjoy and you really can run at any time of day...my little ones are getting cozy with the Letter Factory movies, not quite long enough for five miles, but oh so wonderful to not have to get up at the crack of dawn to run! Enjoy! I got my treadmill off craigslist earlier this year, and we too are becoming chummy as it is getting cold out!

Janet said...

So glad Stanley came into your life. Housework does warm you up but not as much as running. Enjoy him :o)

Ama_Runs said...

Yay for Stanley! Do the kiddos seem interested in taking him for a spin? I'm hoping we'll get a Stanley too soon (though I'll probably call him Bob).