Tuesday, September 4, 2012

It's official...

Summer is over and I survived!  Sometime around the time that Euan was born, I mentioned that if I could survive the summer with 5 kids (including a newborn) that I could pretty much do anything (and that was before I realized a move would be in the mix).  Well, as of today, I did it.  My brand new 2nd and 4th graders are tucked safely into their respective schools (Calvin in a K-3rd and Emme at a 4th-7th!).  The adjustment to back to school at a new school that isn't just right down the street is going to take a bit of getting used to, but I'm sure in no time we'll have the routine down.  Today, Calvin was anxious to ride the bus, so Dan dropped him off at his stop on the way to work (the kids' bus stop is twice as far from our house as their old school was when we lived in Eugene and of course they ride different buses at different times) and  Emme, wanted a ride the first day, so the other three and I drove her out to her school.  I'm pretty sure that I was way more nervous for the first day than they were.  Once today is over though and everything turns out okay I'm sure my nerves will go away and the realty of only having 3 kids at home from 7am to 4pm will set in.  Hooray!!!

As for running, until next year when Leona starts kindergarten (unless I make some friends here that want to watch my kiddos during the day), it will be strictly early mornings or late nights.  This is just as well, because the thought of pushing the double jogger up some of the hills in this crazy town is slightly frightening... and that's before factoring in the wind.  It's okay, though because I do have a pretty cute, early morning running buddy:
Halloween costumes make perfectly cozy running gear for little ones.  :)
Yesterday while Dan took the kids to the park to play, I ran the Prefontaine course... it went better than I had anticipated.  The first hill, is a killer, but luckily, it is at the beginning when one's legs are still fresh.  If the course where run in reverse, I might be a little more hesitant... as it stands right now though, I'm most definitely looking forward to running it.

8 comments:

Amber said...

For some reason that pic of the baby in a frog costume...in a jog stroller just made my morning. I don't have ANY kids yet and have a hard enough time getting just myself out the door to run. You inspire me! :)

Elizabeth said...

Love the pics. Congrats on making it through the summer. Have the kids post about thier 1st day.

Marci said...

I miss you friend.

Your kids are super cuties! I know you've never met a hill that you didn't conquer and I am sure that this new adventure is going to make you even stronger than you already are.

Now that I'm in my 8th month of this pregnancy I'm even more impressed than I already was in your Hippie Chick performance. You are the bomb.

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Aw, happy first day of school to all of you!

Callie. said...

I am glad it went well! Our first day was very non-eventful also, so I guess that is a good thing. LOVE the Halloween costume idea--it's genius! I hope the transition with everything continues to go well for you. You are awesome and I miss you! p.s. your backyard (or, forest) look absolutely dreamy. Maybe it's a sign I need to be back in Oregon? ;)

Jane said...

I have to say I am SERIOUSLY impressed! I just had my first little one a month ago and I love it, but I have no idea how I'd handle two (something that will come up one day). So the fact that you are managing 5... I think that is so great!

Micha said...

Emme looks so grown up here! I hope they like their new schools. They are both such darling kids I'm sure they will do great! I'm curious to see how things play out, with your running. I half expect you to cave and put Euan in a carrier while pushing the other two in the stroller :)

Tony Lipscomb said...

Loving the blog. Just stumbled across it from google. How do you manage to run pushing a stroller? I can barely manage to run without one! Hah.