Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I surrender...

I just finished up getting my butt kicked by Jillian Michaels.  Seriously.  After the Pre on Saturday, I woke up Sunday with a really bad head cold (not to mention incredibly sore quads) and decided to take a few days (or weeks) off of running...  I've taken 3 days so far and probably won't last much longer without a run, but that's beside the point.  In my state of anti-running, and while thinking about getting ready to start training for Eugene (did I mention that I registered to run the full marathon... that's another story for another time) I thought maybe this would be a good opportunity to work in a little bit of full body cross training.

I remembered a little while back getting a pretty good workout from Jillian Michaels' "No More Trouble Zones" so I thought I'd check it out.  Lucky for me, Amazon.com has the option to buy it and watch it instantly online.  I'm a huge fan of "I want it now" impulse shopping  A few clicks later and I am now the proud owner of a digital copy of this "make my body unable to go up and down stairs for weeks" workout session.  So, anyway, when I say that I remember "getting a pretty good workout" a while back, it's kind of like how one remembers "what it was like" to have a baby.  As time goes by the intense pain and horrible feelings that must be suffered through in the actual moments of action begin to fade away into a fuzzy feeling and eventually one finds herself thinking, yeah, I could do that again. (Case in point, I have 5 kids.)

So, after suffering through the workout this morning, (there is actually a move called "the surrender") with Euan laughing at me along the way
 and now wondering how exactly it is that I am going to, repeatedly, go up and down my stairs today
I took the time to go back in time on my blog, over a year ago, to find the last time I did this same workout.  Then I read a few posts until I came upon the results of said workout:
Jillian Michaels kicked my trash the other day.  I thought I was in pretty decent shape.  No, I haven't really been cross training or lifting weights very often, but for the most part I feel pretty good.  Plus, when I was doing her workout, I felt pretty good, as in, "hey, look at me, I may not have the rocking six pack and killer thighs that you do, but I'm hanging right in there with you."  Wrong.  I have sore muscles in places that I didn't even know had muscles.  I could hardly move yesterday.  I think what she meant by "working problem areas" was "I'll make it a problem for you to go up and down the stairs and don't even think about trying to sit down... you may as well learn to stand to pee right now."
This does not leave me very hopeful, considering that, at the time, I was running close to 50 miles a week and had been working out faithfully for almost a year since Jonny was born.  I know my fitness levels aren't even close to that right now.  I think I'm really going to be in trouble with getting out of bed tomorrow.  I'm pretty sure that last year when I did the workout, I called it quits after one session... no big deal with free on demand cable streaming, no real money lost.  Now though, that I've actually invested my own real money I will have to do it on a regular basis to justify the purchase.  Jillian and I are about to become real close.

4 comments:

Micha said...

Believe it or not, but that makes me want to try the workout! I'd rather be dead at the end of it than feel like I didn't do anything. Karen and I did a different JM workout this morning but I think I'm going to look up that video tomorrow!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

You signed up for Eugene! Yeah! I get to cheer you in again. Awesome. Can't wait.

Katrina said...

Why did you have to post this today? I was going to bust out that DVD for the first time since baby for tomorrow and now I'm thinking I might have to push it back a week . . . . or maybe a year.

Heather said...

Well if you are thinking of running 26.2 next spring, might I suggest a great frozen trail run in December that can help you get in shape for it! :) I'm thinking once St. George is over this month I may need to take some time off from running. Perhaps I'll get to know Jillian a bit more. Sounds like she and Tony Horton would get along really well.