Monday, August 27, 2012

So, there's this race...

I have to admit, having Hood to Coast and the Eugene Women's Half take place over the weekend and not participating in either event made me a little bit sad.  I had a blast last year at Hood to Coast and up until this year, I've run every Eugene Women's Half (only 2 of them, but still).  The Eugene Women's Half was my first half marathon (the one that really got me hooked on racing) and my also best half to date.  My mom and I had talked about signing up to run it this year (she was itching to do another one after Hippie Chick) but at the time I wasn't 100% sure where we would be living and if (with the kids out of school for the summer and recovering from a c-section) I'd be able to get in the training needed to feel good about it.  I'm glad we decided against it, since we moved away from Eugene and my training has been far from half marathon worthy.

Not wanting to leave my mom completely race deficient, however, I settled on another race... The Prefontaine Memorial Run.   I'm a big fan of hometown races, really it's the only way to go with small children.  This particular race I've always wanted to run but never have because it meant travel, but now, it is literally, just down the street.  When I say, just down the street, I really mean it, as everything is here, it is just DOWN the street... then back up the other side, then down again, then repeat.  After spending a few weeks running in this town, I have learned the secret to Prefontaine's greatness.... HILLS, HILLS and more HILLS.  Really, there is no other choice here but to run them.  As with all the races I've looked into in this lovely, coastal town, The Pre race is billed as "a rolling, challenging course..." which is definitely a change for me, after running most of my races in Eugene, along the beautiful Willamette River where the races are all sold as "flat, fast and scenic".  To give you a better idea, in picture form, here is the elevation profile for the race:
Looks pretty fun, don't you think?!  Okay, it looks pretty challenging, just as they said, but I'm still looking forward to it.  If it weren't for this race coming up, I think my running motivation would be a little bit lacking.  It's always good to have something to look forward to... even if I don't completely look forward to it.

4 comments:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

I thought about you a lot this weekend, with HTC and EWH happening:) I vividly remember your HTC report last year with all the back ups getting in to Seaside...it made me nervous just going there to pick S up.

I can't believe they put EWH and HTC on the same weekend this year. Not the best planning. Oh well.

Good luck in your Pre race! I think Fruit Fly will be there too!?!

Dick said...

Just like every race you run, you'll do well in the Pre...in spite of the hills.

It looks like I'll be there in a supporting role...hope your mom's Achilles doesn't give her too many problems. This race definitely isn't like the training she's been doing on the OC&E Trail.

Fruit Fly said...

Oh fabulous!!! I will definitely be looking for you!!!!

Raina said...

You will have a fun time there! Lots of costumed runners too. I think we got stuck in the parade on the way out. It really is a big weekend for CB/NB. I haven't decided yet if I will do it, but if I do, I will be looking for you.