Thursday, August 30, 2012

Loving the coast.

There are days, many, many days were I feel sorry for myself because of this new place that I'm living, because I left all of my friends behind, because I'm still trying to figure out the best places to run and the  best time to try and fit running in, because I feel like I rarely see my husband, because my kitchen has few cupboards and no dishwasher, because, because, because... but then I remember that it is less than a 10 minute drive from my front door to one of my favorite places in the whole world... the Pacific Ocean and everything else seems to disappear.

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."  ~ Isak Dinesen
(So basically, if I were to run along the ocean while crying, I'd have it made.)
 Oh, yeah, little E was there too... he likes to just hang out in his car seat hiding from the sun and wind and trying to be cute.

 We're headed camping tomorrow as a family.  We are all super excited.  Then, it's time for summer to be over and school to start... maybe life will start settling down then.  Hope you all have a great holiday weekend.  If you're running, run happy.

7 comments:

Callie. said...

Oh Laurie, I think leaving Eugene is hard for anyone. It is STILL hard for me (even though I complained about the rain). There is just something special about it. But, I have to say, I wish so badly I had the coast ten minutes from my house too! What a wonderful place to go whenever you feel sad/etc. So beautiful. And, thanks for the quote! Enjoy school starting, hopefully it helps everything feel more settled. I am hoping for the same around here.

Micha said...

Little Euan doesn't have to try too hard to be cute. He's a Higgins' baby, that comes naturally!
I'm glad you get to take a family camping trip before "real life" kicks in full force. Hopefully some time to be all together will help.

me/mom/NANA said...

I can't imagine wanting to live in a city like Eugene or Portland when you could live on the coast, unless it was to live in a little town in Colorado of course.

me/mom/NANA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rain said...

these pics make me miss where I used to live...I love the ocean!

Raina said...

He is SO cute!!!
Looks like you had perfect weather there. Must be nice to go whenever and also know if it will be a good day for the beach before you make a trip there :)

Heather said...

That's one of my favorite quotes of all time! I think it's okay to have those days that you feel sorry for yourself, it's just working toward the good days outnumbering the bad ones. :) Know that you are missed here--I thought of you as I postponed my long run yesterday morning until the sun was up. I couldn't bring myself to go out in the dark if I wasn't meeting up with you. I'm too big of a chicken!