Friday, July 13, 2012

Some pretty big news & a rejuvenating run.

We're moving!!!  Dan has been actively searching for new employment since his current clerkship runs out at the end of August.  A couple district attorney positions opened up around the state and he immediately applied for them all.  He really enjoyed the time he spent interning at the Lane Co. DA's office while in law school and knew that he would succeed as a prosecutor.  Last Friday he interview with Coos County and Friday afternoon they offered him the job!!  The other counties that he applied for haven't even closed their applications yet, so Coos County it is.  We are super sad to be leaving Eugene... it is our home, but at the same time excited about making new adventures in a new place.  He begins work August 1st!

We were able to play one of my favorite games... house hunting!!... and actually came up with a decent place fairly quickly.  We can begin moving in as early as next Friday (we will be renting) and hope to be completely out of our current house by the 1st.  Holy cow this is all going sooooo quickly!  I am really excited about the new place, it has brand new carpet and 4 bedrooms, with a living room, family room and plenty of outside places for our kids to play.  It's an older house (built in 1959) but it has been nicely updated inside... well except that it doesn't have a dishwasher  (good thing we have 2 kids old enough to learn to wash dishes.  It is also on a super quiet street in a pretty decent area.
Unfortunately the car doesn't come with the house.
I am so sad to be leaving behind my friends, my running trails and paths and routes and so many, many other things that we love about living in Eugene.  I do strongly believe that one day we will be back though and when we do it will be a permanent thing.

Needless to say, with it being summer and having all the kids home all. day. long. and trying to pack up  our house, and take care of a newborn while dealing with many other random draining things, my stress levels have been slightly elevated.  Finding time to run has also been a challenge.  More than once I have gotten my clothes ready for an early morning run only to decide I was just too tired to get up early.  Well, last night I was considering a run but decided it was too hot, I was too tired, insert other random excuse here, so instead I was wasting time on Facebook.  Well, I came across Amanda's  Runninghood status:
source
It's like she had written it just for me.  I immediately closed the computer, put Euan to bed, put my running clothes on (that had been laying out since the morning's missed run) and kissed Dan goodbye.  My Garmin batteries were dead (I guess that happens after not charging them for over 6 weeks) but I didn't let that stress me out.  I didn't need to know how far or how fast I was going, I just needed to run. So run I did and it was great.  I LOVE to run!  It absolutely does make EVERYTHING better.  I am always a better person after I run.  Hope you all have a happy, stress free weekend, filled with whatever it is to make you happy.  Here's a haiku from my recent contest, to send you on your way.  Thanks Michele... it's perfect.
All alone, quiet.  
Thoughts escape me as I dream.   
Running cures my heart. 

12 comments:

Jane said...

Congratulations to your husband and WOW at the quickness of things! I wish you and your family the best with all of it!

And I have had those moments with running too. I look forward to getting back to it once this baby is born. It is something I have really begun to miss in the last few weeks of this pregnancy and seeing you back at it encourages me!

Laima said...

Congrats and good luck in your new adventures!

P said...

What an exciting adventure! Congrats on the new job, the new house and the discovery of new running routes!!

ErinandShane said...

Yay for a new job and new adventures! Good luck and enjoy a new home :)

Corrina said...

"I am always a better person after I run." <<< yes!! this :)

Micha said...

I'm so happy for you and your family, but we are going to miss you. It will be a great adventure though :) Let us know how we can help.

Stephanie said...

Very exciting, Laurie! Continuing on into "real life". I look forward to that. Enjoy your new digs and exploring all the new running routes. :)

AshleyR said...

Good luck on the move! I look forward to hearing about your new town and how it is to run there when it's not a running oriented city like Eugene.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Wow!! moving! Such a huge thing! It is a change that I think of making sometimes....such an exciting thing to think of starting fresh. So so glad that post on facebook inspired you. I love social media! Thanks for the shout out. Good luck with moving.

Heather said...

joy, joy, joy for you and the family on your news....tears, tears, tears for me as I'm not sure there is anyone else in Eugene that can convince me to do insane things like ultra marathons up giant mountains in the Oregon slog of winter (I believe the direct quote was..."we're already in marathon shape, what's 5 more miles???") I'm holding on to the line in this post that says you will be coming back FOR GOOD! :)

Callie. said...

Laurie, CONGRATS TO YOUR FAMILY! I am so excited for you. Although, I told Katrina this, but Eugene just does not seem like Eugene if you aren't there. That being said, congrats again! I am thrilled for you guys.
p.s. as a comment on the hot pink shoes, I LOVE them. I love bright running shoes.

Raina said...

What!? You did move! You will have to email me which town you are in now. Maybe we can get together when I go that direction. :) Lake marie maybe? Some trails you find in NB/CB maybe??