Thursday, June 7, 2012

T - 2 1/2 days...

Today, Monday and half of Tuesday... that is all that my children have left of this school year.  Ugh.  As I sit here anxiously awaiting the time that they can walk out the door to go to school today, I find myself completely dreading what this summer has to offer.  I need a fenced backyard.  I need my newborn to be about six months older and not so dependent on me.  I need it to stop raining!  I need, I need, I need...

Tomorrow will be a good preview of what summer has to offer as the kids don't have school and it will be my first time outnumbered, for the whole day, 5 to 1.  We'll consider it a little pre-summer test before summer break officially hits.  Maybe all will go unprecedentedly well and my optimism for summer will expound.  Maybe my kids will sleep in until 7 (or planets aligning... even later?!), get up and not immediately start fighting.  Maybe they will calmly and quietly eat their breakfast, clear their dishes, get dressed, brush their teeth and make their beds without being asked multiple times.  After that, maybe they will play nicely together while doing fun and educational games, taking turns and involving everyone.  Maybe after a healthy, well planned lunch, the youngest three will put themselves down for naps while the oldest two read silently in their rooms.  Maybe after naps, the rain will have stopped and we'll all go to the park where no one will steal the ball from anyone, nobody will end up with scraped knees and streaming tears and no one will need to go to the bathroom the minute we get there despite being told to go before we left the house.  Then, maybe we'll come home to an already clean house, where the laundry magically did itself, and a lovely well-balanced dinner is waiting, that everyone eats all of, which will be followed by quick but efficient showers, a bed time story that everyone agrees on and peaceful sleep where nobody needs to be told repeatedly to get back in bed or reassured that there is nothing to be afraid of.  While I'm day dreaming, maybe the DA's office will find some additional budget money and offer Dan a permanent job, which will make it possible for us to stay in Eugene indefinitely and move to that house with the extra bedrooms, fenced backyard, living and family rooms, in that neighborhood that we like close to those running trails that make me oh so happy.  Maybe...

What are you dreaming about today?


6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm hoping my house will magically clean and organize itself before company comes this summer...

As for the kids - check out Amazon and order them each a "Summer Bridge" workbook. I've gotten the kids each one for the past many years. We have a rule - they have to do 2-3 pages every morning before playing Touchpads or watching TV. It helps them keep their little minds learning and focused - it gives me a few minutes to take a deep breath and get ready for the day.

me/mom/NANA said...

I just dream the same dream I have dreamed EVERYDAY for the last 5-10 years, that we move out of this town. I am afraid that your dreams will come before my dream.

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Your post exhausted me. So thankful for my two kids that are over 10 YO. Maybe you can hire a teen to help take some of the burden off of you this summer? Take the big kids to the park during nap time?

Raina said...

Gosh, I wish we lived near each other. It is quite a zoo to have a newborn and all the older kids home.

I predict that in a few weeks, you will get a clearance to run, find a way to do it and sneak out for some mind clearing sanity.

If you ever need a vent- not saying you do, because you seem far more together than I am- feel free to email me.

Dick said...

I'm not dreaming today, Laurie...I'm reminiscing. Reminiscing about when you and your brothers and sister fought over everything, when my main chore was finding out where all of you needed to be dropped off for whatever sport you happened to be doing...when we had swim meets and track meets and baseball games and basketball games and track meets and volleyball matches and football games to go to...when we got to stay up late worrying about who you were with and when you'd come cruising through the door...and a myriad other things that go with raising 6 kids.

I guarantee that you'll survive whatever your wonderful kids bring your way, Dan will wind up with a great job, and you'll eventually have a fenced backyard that the kids can play in. Then before you realize it, you'll be like your mom and me...reminiscing about how nice it was when things were in turmoil. Your kids will be grown up and raising families of their own really quickly...enjoy the chaos while you have it.

JazznJenna said...

I remember once when President Monson said that we should "enjoy the messes" that our kids make, because we will miss it someday. So I then asked Kathy Barnes if she missed the messes, and she said absolutely not. So, ha! I say it's more reasonable to say enjoy the fun stuff, the kisses and hugs that our kids give us, the newborn snuggle time, etc., but don't worry too much about the yucky stuff (all of those things that you listed that you're dreaming away), because sooner or later it will be gone. Just ignore that stuff and it will go away ; ).

What am I dreaming about? I'm dreaming that money will fall out of the sky and take care of all of our nasty debt that I hate, and so that we'll have enough to cover the closing costs on our home. I'm dreaming that once that's done, our walls will paint themselves and we'll find magic fairies to be our fix-it men, since we don't know how to fix things ourselves (this will be our first home). I'm dreaming that my kids will forget how to say "I'm so bored" and "there's no one to play with" since they already figured out how to say that 2 days into their summer break (boooo).

Only 3 months left 'till school starts ;)!