Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My running clones.

I don't necessarily try to push my running obsession off on my family but being that it is practically all I ever talk about/blog about/want to do, (and I am the center of my little universe... ha ha) they are bound to have some interest in it.  Dan has been running regularly for the past 10 months or so, which I think is awesome and now kiddling #1 and #2 have shown a genuine interest in the sport.

Calvin (my almost 7 year old) has been super interested in Dan's running and has been talking about how maybe sometime he'll be able to go running with him.  So, when Saturday afternoon rolled around and Calvin was bored (because he had run out of "Wii time") and we told him he needed to find something to do to entertain himself, I about fell out of my chair when he said, "Well, can I go for a run?" You better believe that my answer was a super enthusiastic, "Absolutely!"  As soon as Emme caught wind of the fact that he was headed running, she was all about it to.  They quickly put on shoes and headed out the door for 3 laps around the block.  Every time they passed the living room windows, they smiled and waved and seemed to be having a great time.

Poor Calvin wiped out on their third lap and ended up with some serious road rash, but even that didn't detour his excitement about running.  Once he was cleaned up and they were settled back into the house, we began talking races.  We decided that it wouldn't entirely out of the question for them both to run a 5K this fall (or possibly earlier).  They were super excited.  I was so proud.  I was about to get even more excited though, because Emmeline quickly went to get some paper and colors.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"Making a training schedule." was her response.

Well, absolutely... one cannot possibly train for a race without having a plan written down.  I am so proud of my little running clones and their plan for the month of June to run 3 times a week:

 with a longer run scheduled for every Saturday and the plan to increase their mileage in July.
 Even though it was raining and windy yesterday when they got home from school, they still put on their shorts and headed out for their scheduled run.  I asked Emme if there is any weather that she would not run in and after a brief moment to think, she replied that it might not feel very good to run in the hail.  That I have to agree with.

Here's a bonus pic for you of my little frog.  2 weeks old yesterday, sporting the super awesome froggy hat and stuffed toy that my amazing friend Marci made for him.
He's still a super chill little guy that would much prefer to sleep than do about anything else.  His weight is finally coming back up though as I think he's realized that eating is a good thing... almost as good as sleeping.

4 comments:

Micha said...

Look at his tiny little head! Ohmyheck he is so cute.

I can't say I'm surprised that the kids think about running - since it seems the jogging stroller is the place to be. Emme's training schedule is pretty much the most awesome thing ever. Let us know when they decide to do a race and we'll come with signs and loud cheers!

Beth said...

That schedule is the cutest! It just shows that they really ARE paying attention :)

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

How great! And a training plan to boot. Way to go Emme and Calvin.

Marci said...

Your kids are the bomb!