Thursday, June 28, 2012

I have this sister...

and I think she's pretty cool.  It took me a long time to appreciate her coolness... mostly I used to really dislike her.  I was almost 11 years old when she was born.  I had a good thing going.  I was the only girl of 4 kids and I was old enough to realize that when she came along with her adorable brown curls and big doe-like eyes my rule as the little princess was over.  She quickly won the heart of everyone, including my friends (I wish I had access to her baby pictures, you'd see why, she was adorable)... to say I was jealous would be a huge understatement, plus I was 10 and no one looks or feels cute at 10.  Anyway, it has been over 20 years since she stole my spotlight and I've matured enough (well, at least a little bit) to be excited for her when she is in the spotlight.  From time to time I've even been willing to put the spotlight on her.  Like HERE for example.  I'm about to do it again...

See, I have this sister and she's competing in the Olympic Swimming Trials... and I think that is freaking awesome! 
Although her chance of making the team isn't the greatest, she does have a decent chance and could very well do it... I wouldn't put it past her.  She has been working hard for this moment for a long time.  I remember when she was 11 and we happened to be on the same swim team (it was before I realized that I really did like to run), our coach had us write down our swimming goals, one immediate goal, one for in the future and one for the future future.  I couldn't tell you what my goals were but I do remember one of Stephanie's... to swim in the Olympics. 
I of course also remember thinking ha ha, yeah right... but that was also me still being jealous and not having matured enough to appreciate her talent and be proud for her... plus, she was 11, who likes 11 year olds?!  Ha ha.


So, anyway, I have this sister and I'm super proud of her.  Tomorrow (June 29th) she'll be swimming the 100 free with the rest of our nation's best and on Sunday, (July 1st) she'll be competing in the 50 free. She will be awesome... she always has been.
toting around one of my kidlings while supporting me at a race
after a rare but enjoyable swim workout together... where she swam like crazy and I kind of floated around  :) 
Good luck Stephanie, we'll be cheering for you... you rock!  You're my favorite sister ever.  :)  Even if you are my only one.  Love you.

10 comments:

Janet said...

You are an awesome big sister for Stephanie! I have two totally awesome daughters. Love you and wish you could be here with us to root her on.

Dick said...

You forgot to mention that you taught her how to swim. We're proud of all 6 of you...we couldn't have had better kids.

Dick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rusten and Karen said...

Good Luck Stephanie!

P said...

Awww, love this post! Good luck to your awesome sister - how exciting for the whole family!!

Kristin said...

Wow! That's awesome! I will definitely tune in tomorrow!!

Stephanie said...

I have the best family ever!!!!!! Thank you for teaching me how to swim Laurie!!

Laura said...

Of course I have to say GO BRONCOS! I had no idea you had a sister who swam here...I must not have been reading that well for the past couple of years!

JazznJenna said...

Wow, Laurie, I knew you and your mom were both athletes, and amazing ones at that, I didn't know you had a sister who fits the AMAZING category as well! How exciting for your whole family to get to watch her follow her dreams this way. I wish her luck!! Thanks for sharing her story with us, I'm inspired by her success!!

Jane said...

Wow! How cool is that! I wish I would have read this before I watched the swim trials! Sisters are awesome and that is a great picture of you two!