Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Back on the road... sort of.

Yesterday began the first full week of summer vacation here for the Higgins Clan.  We started it off in classic Higgins style, with sick kids.  Leona and Jonny have been fighting a nasty cough for a bit now and poor Emmeline woke up with the fever and stuffy head that seems to be the start of this horrible illness.  I knew that if there was any chance of being able to cope with another day cooped up with sicklings, I had to get out in the morning and do something for myself.

I loaded Euan up in the stroller for his first of many, many stroller rides
and told Dan that I was going for a walk.  I told myself that I was going for a walk too, but myself quietly said, "Hey, maybe if the brisk walk feels okay, you could go for a little bit of a run too."  Which I think in the back of my mind is what I had planned all along.  So, I left my driveway, headed down the street a bit then cautiously took a few running steps, when they felt okay, I took a few more, then decided I may as well finish off my planned 1 mile route with those running steps... and so I did.  It was slow and it was short and I have a long way to go before I'll be close to being back to a regular running routine but since I still have two weeks before I'm technically cleared to run, I'll take it.  Best of all, it really did make me happy and able to handle the rest of the day... everyone appreciated that.

5 comments:

Jane said...

Congrats on your first little run!

Margie said...

Congratulations on running again! I am so impresse dthat your first post-baby run was with a stroller- baby is eight weeks, I've been running for five, and I have yet to push a stroller!

Katrina said...

I was wondering if you'd snuck out for a run yet. I'm glad you did and it was successful. I hope your kids get over their bugs soon.

Ama_Runs said...

Congrats on being back! :)

Callie. said...

a lot of people's kids have been sick here too, and I am crossing my fingers that it doesn't happen in our home. I hope everyone is on the mend soon. And, of course you ran! When you love something, it cannot be helped. Hope you can sneak in some more walk/running time. :)