Friday, May 11, 2012

Race day ready... Hippie Chick Half Marathon

Tomorrow is the Hippie Chick Half Marathon... I am sooooo excited!  I'm not really sure why, other than maybe the fact that I'm not nervous for it at all... that and that I'll be joined by 7 other awesome girlies (including my mom), several of which will be running their first half marathon.  2 of my friends from here (including Heather... who you might remember from the Columbia River marathon & the 50K) will be going for PRs, another friend will be racing in the "quarter marathon" (her longest race distance ever, in addition to being only 5 months postpartum), my mom and cousin are coming up to do the half (definitely a first for my mom and I think my cousin too) another friend will be running in her first half and my good friend Marci (who I've mentioned from time to time) is crazy enough to be "running with child" with me (she's 20 or so weeks along).  I feel partially responsible for most of these girls doing this race... here's why:

Back in September, after having so much fun at Hood to Coast, I came across an awesome relay race that I wanted to do with my closest friends.  The Epic Oregon Relay.  I was super excited about it and presented it to the group, who although somewhat reluctantly, agreed that it could be a lot of fun.  I then admonished them, that none of them could get pregnant until after the race.  Famous last words, as less than a month later, after sending in our race deposit and picking an awesome team name, I was quite surprised to learn that I was pregnant.  Luckily, my friends were understanding, as were the Epic Relay people, who although reluctantly at first, did eventually refund our team deposit.  After I completed the Columbia River Marathon (at almost 9 weeks pregnant) I decided that as long as I kept running throughout my pregnancy there was no reason I couldn't do a half at almost 38 weeks.  I really wanted to make up for bailing on the relay and get the girls together to run, so I presented the idea of Hippie Chick.  Marci was in right away, as was my mom and a few other girls jumped on board without much persuasion.  So, here we are, tomorrow I will be 37 weeks 5 days pregnant and be running my 4th half marathon.  

I feel like I have done a good job listening to my pregnant body and that I am prepared as I can be.  I finished my last long run a little over a week ago.... 12.4 miles, with the double stroller.  I did it in 2:09:16, which is about a 10:26 pace and I felt great!  I will not however be running tomorrow anywhere near that fast (nor will I be pushing a stroller) so I know that it will be completely manageable.  I will be running with my mom, who has trained very, very hard and is going to do a great job.  I'm so proud of her.  I'm excited to run with her and run her pace... we are going to have a great time.  I plan to bring my camera and get lots and lots of pictures.  

Tonight, the few of us that weren't smart enough to go up to Portland early are getting together to carb load.  We will then go to bed super early (ha ha) and hope to be out of Eugene by 4:30am.

I've made a few things in preparation for the big day:
an awesome sign, that I have hanging in my living room to keep me excited
peace, love, run happy!! 
cool headbands
"hippie bands"
 and I have my outfit, laid out and ready to go.
just imagine it with a much, much fuller belly.
In case you're actually curious about the outfit, the shoes are Brooks Green Silence that are absolutely my favorite shoes to run in (I have two different colors and would love to have more)... technically, they are a racing flat, but I wear them for the majority of my training runs. The socks are compression socks from Running Skirts that I've had forever (they actually have a hole in the toe) but still feel lovely on my legs.  The skirt is also from Running Skirts but I have to admit, I got it from RunningWarehouse (my absolute favorite place to get running gear, I got the shoes there too) at a very substantial discount.  The tank is a Champion empire tank with a built in shelf bra, that I don't think they carry anymore... I found mine at Ross for super, super cheap.  I got it in an XL so that it would be long and flowy enough to cover my big, big belly... it seems to do the trick.  The arm sleeves (which I might not actually wear, it's supposed to be very, very warm tomorrow) are Asics from Running Warehouse (but they don't have them anymore right now).  I got them the same time I got as the skirt and they are without a doubt my most favorite sleeves, which is saying a lot because I'm obsessed with sleeves.  They are soooo soft, they feel like butter.  They are also very long and have thumb holes as well as little pouches to put a gel, money, a key or something else in.  Two sport bras (in addition to the built in one), the blue one from Nike that is old, old, old and the black one is a C9 one from Target and the headband that I made. What you can't see are, in my opinion, necesseities for any super pregnant runner, a Bellaband from Ingrid & Isabel as well as the Gabrialla Maternity Support belt.  (Wow, that ended up being a lot longer ad than I expected it to.... sorry!)

Anyway, assuming that I don't go into labor during or shortly after the race, I hope to have a nice and picture full race report up early next week.  I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend full of lots and lots of sunshine.  Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's, mine especially... you're amazing!

And, to my dear friend Katrina, who at 39 weeks pregnant, decided she is just a bit too far along to run with us, you will be greatly missed, hopefully we'll be hearing all about your new precious little girl when we get back into town.  :)  

6 comments:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Holy smokes, you're driving up from Eugene? That is a haul.

Best of luck to you all tomorrow morning. It's the perfect race to do with girlfriends. You will have a blast. (And there are lots of indoor bathrooms at Hillsboro Stadium).

runninglawyer said...

Have fun doing your half marathon! You are still running faster than me so late in your pregnancy - Amazing!

Micha said...

So... you're running this on the verge of having a baby and you're still going to look cute too??? That's a bit more than I can handle. I'm going to hold you to your word that we can stop for chocolate after we all survive this thing.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Callie. said...

Laurie, you are awesome and I wish you lots of luck tomorrow. Btw, I LOVE The sign you made. You should sell those on etsy. :)

Good luck to everyone else! Can't wait to check back for the update, and to hear about all you girls having babies left and right.

Catey said...

I LOVE that you are doing a race tomorrow!! Best of luck-hope you feel fabulous through the entire thing and have a wonderful time!
And I have that skirt-love it and was going to wear it for my last race, but my butt is too big now. Dangit. Who'd have known my butt would knock clothes out of rotation and not my belly?

Amanda@runninghood said...

Yay! I'll look for your in this awesome outfit girl! xo