Wednesday, May 30, 2012

More about Euan (lots of pics)

So, since it has been over a week since this little boy was born and I have been on my blog, I figured it was about time to get things updated.  Because it was a planned cesarean, there really isn't too much to say about Euan's birth story.  Monday morning, I got up, got the kids off to school, finally finished packing my hospital bag, then Dan got ready, we told my mom and the other kids goodbye and headed to the hospital to have the baby.  It was all very strange.  We got there way early and decided instead of checking in and waiting forever we would walk around Target for a bit.  So after a trip to Target, we headed back to the hospital to have our baby.

Check in took no time and before we knew it, we were in a room and I was wearing an awesome pink hospital gown (showing off my silly looking belly for the last time)
 and some really bitchin' no-slip socks.  Let me tell you, these socks made me feel so attractive and beautiful.  Nothing says, sexy mama, like old man colored, ill fitting, slipper socks.
 Then we hung around and waited for a while.  What else to do but take some self-portraits.
 Then Dan got to put on his sexy outfit too and we were headed into the surgery room.
 Once I was getting prepped for surgery, I had to wait and wait and wait.  Apparently the doctor was running late.  It didn't make for the friendliest atmosphere as all the surgery staff was grumbling and complaining about his tardiness and making sure that it was documented that he didn't show up on time.    I thought this was all very comical since the doctor had told me to arrive early so that maybe we could get the surgery done ahead of schedule. Anyway, the doctor did finally show up and we were underway.  In no time at all, we were the proud parents of another little boy!  I'm pretty sure that Dan was relieved that it wasn't another girl.  We had a very enthusiastic baby nurse who took a lot of pictures for us, but unfortunately, they all show way more of me than I care to share on the blog, so you get this one, once we were back to the room and all cleaned up.
 I rested for a few hours and then my mom brought the rest of the clan up to see their new little brother. They were all super excited and very anxious to hold him.
 Everyone had a turn:







 After a short visit, they all left and I had time to hang out and take pictures all by myself.
 I think after a few days of being photographed, Euan decided that he wasn't too into it.
 I had contemplated checking out of the hospital on Wednesday, but after giving it a little more thought I decided to stay until Thursday and enjoy the environment of only having one child hanging on me.  By Thursday, though, I was more than ready to be home and the kiddos were happy to have us home too.
My awesome friend Michelle, who was over watching Leona and Jonny while Dan picked me up, made this super sweet banner welcoming Euan.


Calvin cannot get enough of his new little brother.
We were really lucky to have my mom here to help out while I was in the hospital.  It was great not having to worry about who was going to take care of the kids and it also made it so I wasn't all alone at the hospital.  It has also been amazing to have Dan off of work too.  Euan hasn't been the best eater and had to go back for a weight check and Dan was able to take off a couple more days to help out with that.  I can't even begin to express how much help he has been.  Despite having 2 kids in diapers, I've hardly changed any in the past week.  All-in-all, the transition to five kids has been manageable.  My c-section recovery has been going amazingly smoothly though, which I think is helping.  The real test will be tomorrow when Dan goes back to work and I'm outnumbered 5 to 1.  Luckily I still have a few more weeks of Emme and Calvin in school... once they're out, the real fun will begin.  The hardest part right now is not having the ability to go running and get my happy endorphins going.  I've been on a couple of short walks and I'm being very cautious but I can't help but long for that  6 week approval that will say, "Yes, Laurie, you may go for a run now."

9 comments:

bobbi said...

Awww, congratulations to you all!

Rusten and Karen said...

So glad there is another Higgins in the world! You make THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN EVER!!!!! Congratulations!

Jane said...

Congratulations on your new little boy! He is a doll!!!

The Unexpected Runner said...

Congratulations!

Marci said...

You guys are the cutest ever!

Katrina said...

I love all the pics! Euan is one lucky kid to have so many enthusiastic siblings. I hope he starts eating better for you. Congrats again! I'm excited to come visit so I can meet the little guy.

XLMIC said...

What a good-looking bunch :)

So happy for you that all is going well! So nice that you have a bit of time before all 5 are all home! You'll get your groove in no time, I am sure of it :)

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

aww! Cute! Congrats!!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! I know I'm a million years behind, as usual, but better late than never, right? He's such a cutie. I'm so happy for you, and happy for you to not be prego anymore. YAY!