Friday, May 18, 2012

It's decided...

One of the things that I haven't really talked about much is the upcoming birth of #5.  I mean I've talked about it, but I don't think that I've actually mentioned the fact that it is going to be a planned cesarean.  In fact, I haven't told a whole lot of my friends even of that fact.  I'm not really sure why that is... I think somewhere maybe in the back of my mind planning the birth of my child with a c-section seems almost like taking the easy way out and I feel the need to justify my decision.  So, whether it is needed or not, here comes my little justification speech, probably more for me than for you, but bare with me.

I don't seem to do the whole labor thing very well.  Better yet, my body doesn't seem to cooperate.  My mom had 6 kids completely natural... no problems, no issues.  I was going to be just like her.  Well, not the 6 kids thing, I never, never had any plans to have that many.  (Yeah, 5 is so much less than 6... ha ha!)  Anyway, kiddo #1.  My water broke, I went to the hospital... never went into labor.  Pitocin, intense contractions, still very little change on my body's part.  Finally an epidural, fetal distress, the threat of an emergency c-section and I was able to hang on for a vaginal delivery. 7lb 8oz

Kiddo #2.  Calvin was a big baby.  He was also a week late.  Wanted redemption at the whole natural thing.  Water broke.  Nothing.  Enter pitocin, again.  Still hoping to go med free held off on the drugs for a bit but then gave in an received an epidural, still no progression as far as labor went.  Much more fetal distress... enter the emergency c-section.  8lbs 13oz.

#3.  Leona was a perfect pregnancy.  Went into labor naturally, had contractions, went to the hospital.  Labored for a bit, without much progress received an epidural.  Doctor broke my water and she was born shortly thereafter.  7lbs with a tiny, tiny head.

Okay, #3 wasn't so bad, lets go ahead and take a shot at #4.  Pregnancy went fine.  Went into labor a week past my due date, went to the hospital.  Labor stopped.  Instead of sending me home, the doctor decided to break my water.  Kind of got things going again but still nothing significant.  Hello, pitocin, oh how much I hate you.  Held off on the epidural for a bit for some reason... then gave in and got one.  Labored for a long, long time.  Finally, ready for Jonny to come out but he was not coming and he was not coming.  He was stuck.  Shoulder dystocia.  Too late for an emergency c-section.  Nurses pushing on my belly, doctor pulling on the poor kid, lots of pain and lots of urgency.  Then he was born and really, really not doing well.  He had a heartbeat but he was not breathing, or crying or even moving for that matter and he was dark, dark blue.  It was obvious that everyone was pretty scared.  Long story short, he ended up being just fine after a few minutes but it was more than traumatizing for Dan and even my mom was pretty shaken up by the whole ordeal. 8lbs 3oz

Even though we had originally planned on 5 kids, Jonny's birth made us reconsider.  We didn't go to any permanent fixes though and I promised Dan that IF something happened and I got pregnant again I would have a planned cesarean and a tubal ligation.  Well, here we are, pregnancy #5 and I am keeping my promise.

So, the day of that planned c-section is very quickly approaching.  Originally it was scheduled for next Thursday, the 24th, but after a little bit of schedule rearranging I am now set to go in on Monday!!  It is so crazy to know exactly when my baby will be born and not have to wonder when I will go into labor.  Having it all planned like this is part of the reason we've decided to not find out what we're having... we need some sort of surprise.  Of course, there is always the chance that I could go into labor over the weekend, but we won't think about that...

We did, however, finally decided on a boy's name and a girl's name last night.  We are still keeping those under wraps though.  I will tell you that it won't be Fin (as in "the end" in French) or Omega "Meg", or even #5 or Cinco/a or Ultimo/a, although we do lovingly refer to it as Cinco so it very well could be a nickname.  :)  I don't really have any feelings one way or the other what we are having... it will be a very pleasant surprise.

My plans for the next few days:

  • Pack for the hospital (yeah, I should have finished doing this a few weeks ago).  
  • Get the laundry done... never a finished project.
  • Get some groceries for my family to eat while I'm away.
  • Go for at least one more if not two nice & easy runs.  I know recovering from a c-section isn't the loveliest, so it will be a while before I'm back to running, need to get it in while I can.
As soon as I have any updates I'll be sure to let you know.  Feel free to leave a guess of what I'm having.  If you want to guess the gender and a weight, I'd be happy to send a little prize to whomever comes the closest... just to keep things fun.  :)

Have a super enjoyable weekend.  Happy Running!! and good luck to those racing, especially those of you running the Portland RnR.  Run happy and run strong!

Oh and since this was such a long post without any pictures, here are a couple from the race last weekend that I got from HERE.
Mom and I looking strong and happy somewhere near the middle I think.

Coming into the finish, getting ready to hold hands but unfortunately, Mom didn't make the shot.

15 comments:

me/mom/NANA said...

A beautiful, of course little girl weighing in at 7 pounds 2 ounces. Of course it could be a boy weighing in at 7 pounds 10 ounces. Either way can' t wait to hold the baby.

Marci said...

I think it is a girl and will be 8 lbs. 2 oz. Either way it is going to be one hip kid.

Lindsey and Isaac said...

Monday!! yay! I'm guessing girl too, 7 lbs 8 oz.

Elizabeth said...

You will have a beautiful baby girl. 7lbs 7oz. I am so excited! I can't wait to hear the name and see pictures. We'll be thinking of you.
Love you... good thoughts your way.

Emz said...

have I told you yet [today] that you freaking rock. I just simply adore you.

7.4 pounds - actually 7.44 pounds

beautiful little....GIRL.

those
pictures
are
awesome.

runninglawyer said...

Definitely a girl, to keep the pattern, and I'd say 7 pounds 12 oz

Enjoy the last weekend with 4 kids! Can't wait to see pictures!

Kristin said...

Hope it goes super smooth! I think your planned C-sec sounds like a smart move to be honest.

I'm guessing boy, 8.6lbs.

me/mom/NANA said...

Papa says a girl. 7 pounds 6 ounces and 20 inches long.

Micha said...

If I'd been through all that I'd plan a C-section too.

Hmm. I'm guessing girl, because it seems to be in the water lately - and because I really want to know what the name is that you were so smitten with a while back.

7lb. 15 oz.

Either way, his/her mama is a trooper!

Janet said...

I'm going to say girl, 7 lbs 5 oz and your Grammy is guessing 8 lbs 1 oz. She had another guess but it was already taken. Good luck to you.

Janet said...

OK I take that all back about what Grammy said. She didn't tell me she was guessing a boy so her official guess is a boy weighing 7 lbs 7 oz. :o)

Dick said...

I'm going with a girl, just because of the heart rate (even though that's not infallible, it seemed to work with you and your siblings). Let's go with 7 lbs and 14 oz. Whether we wind up with another granddaughter or another grandson doesn't really matter...we'll love him/her just the same.

(I also have my money on her eye color being blue...do I get extra credit for that?)

Katrina said...

Oh come on, you have to give how many Weeks you were along when each was born, haha. I say girl 7 lbs 3 oz. Good luck tomorrow! I'm so so excited for you. I hope your coming week is as amazing as my past week has been! I can't wait to meet little Higgins #5.

JazznJenna said...

I'll guess BOY 7 lbs 15 oz. It has been really exciting to be a witness to your journey during this pregnancy, with all of the running and achieving of goals and all. You'll always be my best running inspiration! I enjoyed reading about your final run--and how much you enjoy being outdoors.

I know you probably won't have time to answer this question right away (if at all), but do you generally prefer to run with no music or anything in your ears, just the sounds of nature? That's the way it has been for me, and I was just wondering if many others prefer the same. Then again, it could also be kind of that I'm just a little technologically challenged and don't have a very full playlist on my iPod...

Best wishes this week! Can't wait to meet the little one!

Kristin said...

Thinking about you today!!!