Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I don't ♥ raccoons.

Don't let that cute fuzziness fool you.  Source  
Story #1:  We have a raccoon family that has moved in under our house.  Technically, they live under the studio apartment that is attached to our house, but since our daylight basement bedroom window is right at the level of their "doorway" to the underground they are most definitely in our space.  They have been coming and going for quite a while now but apparently, our neighbor decided he was fed up with it, and with the help of our landlord, boarded up all the vents leading to under the house.  Good, great... well, not really.  See, the thing about raccoons is they are nocturnal.  Our landlord and neighbor, not so much... in their unraccoon savviness, they boarded up the holes in the middle of the afternoon... trapping the creatures inside.  This caused quite a commotion several nights in a row (our landlord is tenacious, but maybe a little slow on the raccoon uptake), when the raccoons tried to get out to play.  They managed to be successful every night, escaping with much noise and commotion but escaping nonetheless only to be boarded up again every afternoon. 

Story #2:  We went almost 4 days without the Internet.  When you take into consideration (as sad as may sound, it is quite true) that the Internet (and it's subsequent blogging world) is my everyday connection to anything over the age of 8, I felt pretty lost for a few days.  I had all sorts of plans for blogging and wasting time online and instead had to do productive things like laundry, dusting, vacuuming the kids' rooms, dishes... you know all the trivial things in life...  ha ha.  I even managed to (mostly) pack my bag for the hospital (which was long overdue considering that I'm a little over 37 weeks now).  The first day we were offline, I spent the entire morning speaking on the phone with the cable people, who did nothing to fix my problem and essentially told me there was nothing I could do about it because Dan's name is the only one on the account.   Needless to say, that made me a little bit irritated. Anyway, the Internet miraculously came back on before Dan got home from work and stayed that way until the next morning when it disappeared again... this time for good.  Dan was finally able to schedule a technician to come out and check things out (after having his own struggles with the people on the other end of the cable company phone).

Now, here, is where the two stories connect.  After checking to make sure that all of our connections were wired properly inside the house, the cable guy ventured outside to scope things out.  It turns out, that in one of the raccoons escape attempts, they managed to chew through the Internet cable, essentially rendering my communication with the outside world unattainable.  Because of that, and the fact that they made it even more difficult for me to sleep at night with all their escape attempts, not to mention that time a couple summers ago when they about gave me a heart attack, the raccoons and I are not on very good terms.

The good news, however, is that I do have Internet access again and my landlord has finally given in and called an exterminator.  The exterminator came today bearing "humane traps" that will need to be checked every morning but hopefully will help the raccoons find somewhere else to live and keep me online.

5 comments:

Raina said...

I have some boys who could take care of that raccoon for you...
Be glad it isn't a skunk!

Jess@themommymiles said...

no way! That did NOT happen! Ha! Racoons are such delinquents!

XLMIC said...

O, man! Raccoons and I are not friends either! Glad they got the trapper in to help you all out. We used to live on a raccoon "highway" and it was horrible! So excited that you are so close to meeting baby :)

Micha said...

I confess I find the raccoon deal quite funny - only since they were boarded INTO the place everyone wants them out of...

Another friend of mine had a similar issue with bats that a landlord barricaded into her chimney. Hopefully the raccoons smell a little better than bats do! Hopefully you can rest easier now that people who have some idea how to handle it are involved.

Janet said...

Great story. Glad it has a good ending and you can blog again.