Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Soooo, I lied...

Remember the other day when I said that I was retiring my double jogger until after this baby is born?  Well, I lied.  Yesterday was a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful day that said to me, "Laurie, come run, bring your kids and come run... come run far."  It's hard to disregard pleading like that, so I loaded Leona and Jonny, their toys and some snacks into Bob and away we went.  I didn't really have any distance destination upfront in my mind, but in the back of my mind I knew I wanted to run for a while.  Being away last weekend (which was awesome by the way) and with another trip planned this weekend (to celebrate good bar results (fingers crossed) and Dan's birthday) my longish runs have kind of fallen by the wayside... which doesn't bode well for that half marathon in 2 1/2 weeks.  Well, that no distance in mind, turned into a lovely (and very hot by the end... 81 degrees!!) 10 mile run.

For the most part, it really felt great too.  I made sure the tires were well inflated before we left, which I think helped a lot as far as pushing the stroller was concerned.  I didn't have any of the belly and lower back soreness that I did last week.  I also made a special effort to keep my pace reasonable (slow).  Jonny fell asleep early, of course, but Leona was loving every second of it.  With the sun out, it was the first run we've been on without the rain cover in a very, very long time.  She had her sunblock and her sunglasses on and her notebook and was taking it all in.  She insisted that we stop at several different places to check out the map, to look at the river, to chase the geese and at first I was hesitant, but then happy to oblige... the rests did well for my body and her time running long distances with me is pretty much done.

With every stop though, I received lots of inquiring and chatty comments from the billions of other people that were out enjoying the atypically sunshiny spring day.  One lady wanted to look in on Jonny then wanted to know if he and Leona were twins, then how far apart they were and then how far apart the baby and Jonny would be.  Then she was happy to announce that, "well, 3 is a nice number, I'm sure you'll be happy to stop there."  Yes, strange lady on the bike path, 3 is a nice number but when you add it to the 2 other kids that I have in school right now it makes an even nicer number... 5 and yes I am happy to stop there.  I of course didn't say that, I just smiled and nodded.  5 is a pretty overwhelming number (even or maybe especially to Dan and me) so when people think that I'm pregnant with my 3rd baby (because of only having the other 2 with me) I usually just go with it.  Later on, we stopped at another park to check out the ducks and refill our water.  A nice mom and daughter combo came up to me and said, "You're having a girl, aren't you?"
"Well, I don't know."
"Oh, well you sure look like you're having a girl... your belly is so round and high." To which brought the comment from her grown daughter, "Yeah, it doesn't even look real, like your running around with a ball under your shirt... we had to come closer to check you out."
That conversation went on for a bit because the mom was curious about how I had carried my other 2 kids, high or low, wanted to know when I was due and then proceeded to tell me about how she had carried her daughter so high it was like there was no separation between her belly and her boobs.  Okay, thanks for sharing.

I did get lots of, "great job" and "good for you" comments, which is always nice and well appreciated... but usually means that the recipient of the comments looks like she is about to die.  Probably also true.  By the end, I was tired and the heat felt very, very warm.  Shortly after my watch turned over to 10 miles, I knew we would easily hit 11 miles before we hit our front door but Leona was begging to get out and run so I decided to call it a day.  Once I made that decision though, I was done and couldn't even run at a speed to make Leona happy.  "Why are you walking mommy... let's run fast!!!"  "Nope, sweetie, this is as fast as I can go now."

I feel pretty good today, outside of my allergies which seem to have kicked into full gear and am quite grateful that I am still able to run.  In fact, I was on such a high after my run yesterday that when Emme and Calvin got home from school we headed out for ice cream and some quality time at the park.  Jonny was a huge fan of that.

In other news, I've entered my mom into a giveaway on Facebook for some Mother's Day goodies from iFitness and if you'd be so kind as to pop on over there and vote for her (all you have to do is vote once) I'd be ever so grateful... she really, really deserves to win!  Just click HERE.  If you don't already like iFitness on Facebook, you might have to do that first.  Thank you.  (Also, please ignore my bad grammar on the photo caption, I wasn't able to change it after the fact or smart enough to get it right in the first place.)

4 comments:

Catey said...

A-MAZING woman!!
I have come to enjoy the shock of what number is in the belly...I just have to make sure I walk away while they are still in shock so I don't get any comments... :P

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Voted.

Was yesterday the best day ever! I felt like we were in SoCal. No sun today though. Oh well.

Hugs.

Becky at Prairie Runner said...

Don't you love those comments from strangers?Sometimes you just have to laugh! I bet your kids love running with you!

Jane said...

Wow! I am so impressed that you can run 10 miles right now. Impressed and inspired and hopeful that I'll still be trucking along when I get to my third trimester!