Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Snail Dodging

There is really no point to this post other than to remind you of my ridiculous affection towards snails.  I've posted at least twice about it in the past... HERE and HERE... if you have nothing better to do with your time.  Anyway, I went for an early morning run today in the dark without even realizing that it was the time of year for the snails to be out in full force.  I just really like snails.  I think they're cute.  I don't like to step on them.  Sometimes though, it can't be avoided.

Needless to say I heard that tell tale crunching sound of more than one snail meeting it's death via the bottom of my shoe.  Once the sun came up, they were much easier to avoid, although slightly more difficult than before my belly started blocking the view of my feet.

Although the snails that I failed to dodge might disagree, my run actually went very well.  After two very late nights, I went to bed relatively early last night to try and catch up on some much needed sleep but  had trouble sleeping (one of the many lovely pregnancy side effects I've begun to grow accustomed to).  I had planned to get up and run early and had all my stuff ready to go but when I woke up at 1:30am then 2:30 and couldn't go back to sleep until after 3, I turned off my phone alarm.  Then I woke up at 4:30 and was wide awake.  I laid there for a while listening to the rain and trying to decide if I should talk myself into sleeping or getting up and running.  After realizing that sleeping wasn't going to happen, I roll/shimmied (it's an awesome 3rd trimester pregnancy move for someone who's side of the bed is against the wall... you should see it, I would imagine it is quite comical) out of bed and tiptoed upstairs.  It didn't take too long to get ready and I did it quietly enough that the house was still when I crept out the door.  I didn't have any real mileage plans (I've pretty much thrown my training schedule out the window and have become happy with whatever mileage I get in whenever I get it in) but since I had well over an hour before I'd need to be getting everyone going I decided to make it 6.  It ended up being 6, absolutely wonderful miles.  My Achilles only bothered me a bit when I started out (I was wearing the heal inserts but not the brace) and if it weren't for the bathroom break I desperately needed, I might have even forgotten I was pregnant.  I think it helped that I didn't look at my watch too much and tried to just keep a nice even pace.  It's still a bit disheartening to look down while feeling like I'm cruising along and see double digit pace numbers but I'm still running, so I'll take it.

6 comments:

XLMIC said...

Stepped on snails are slippery! Be careful out there!

Silvia Bennett said...

Wow! Awesome job on 6 miles!

Janet said...

I'm glad you'll take the double digit miles. You'll have to if you really decide to run with me during the Hippie Chick Half. My fastest speed is double digits probably slower than you went. :o)

Jess@themommymiles said...

I am SO impressed with your commitment to run during your pregnancy! Awesome!

Catey said...

You are still my pregnant running hero. :)
Glad the achilles behaved!

Jane said...

You ran 6 miles in your third trimester! I am so impressed and...hopeful. I'm at 23 weeks now and I run 5 a few times a week. I have a few 10ks I want to leisurely race, but my main concern is the bathroom breaks. Those really get on my nerves. :) GREAT JOB!