Tuesday, April 3, 2012

32 Weeks and 248 Feet

Yesterday  marked 32 weeks in this pregnancy for me.  It really seems to be flying by.  I'm starting to get a little nervous about what exactly it will mean to have a newborn in the house again.  They are a lot of work.  It's kind of crazy not knowing what the sex will be.  We're having a bit of trouble with names.  We definitely have a girl's name as well as a back up or two just in case however the boy name is still slightly undecided.  We have a front runner and a couple other possible options, however I'm having trouble really, really loving any of them.  Because of this, I'm sure that we'll have a boy.  If you have any great baby names that you're dying to pass along, fell free to share them with me.  Anyway, with the 32 week mark, it means, it has been a month since the last time I posted a pregnancy pic, so here you go.  Miss Emmeline was my beautiful photographer, so you actually get a real pic as opposed to me taking one of myself in the mirror.  Sadly, I don't think it makes me look much better.
If you want to look past my enormous self and at the sky, you'll notice that it is amazingly blue and free of all clouds and rain.  It was simply an amazing day (with temps in the mid 60s!) and a wonderful way to end spring break.  The kids and I spent the morning outside, came in for lunch and naps (sadly only Leona and Jonny... the older two don't seem to appreciate the luxury of an afternoon nap) then went back out for the rest of the afternoon.


Today, however school is back in (finally) and with it came the cloudy skies and rain that we are so accustomed to.  The sun was lovely while it lasted and it makes me excited for when it will stay a little bit more permanently.

As for running, since Monday last week, I haven't done it.  I'm really frustrated by the whole thing because I don't know what I did to have my Achilles/calves hurt so much.  I've been trying to be smart and I've been taking a running break which I think has been helping.  Yesterday, though, after having a week off, and since I could walk around again without limping, I thought that I'd be good to go for a run. I made it 248 feet.  248 feet!!!  I didn't even realize my Garmin would track such a little distance.  I was very disappointed.  I thought about just keeping going to see if after a bit of a warm up my legs would feel better but I decided the sensible thing to do was to give it some more time.  I'm really frustrated because everything else pregnancy related is going fine.  Sure recovery time takes a little bit longer and I definitely can't run as fast or as far as I could earlier on in my pregnancy but without this "injury" I'd still be running.  For now, though I'll have to be content to walk and hope that will keep my fitness level up enough that I'll be able to actually finish the Hippie Chick in 6 weeks.

In happy running news, my mom, who is training for the Hippie Chick also (her first half) run 10 miles on Saturday.  I am so proud of her, she is doing an amazing job and will have no problem finishing the race.

8 comments:

Raina said...

Oh, I think you look BEAUTIFUL, Laurie! So pretty and SO far along now!

I remember my calves really getting worked when I was running in my third trimester. I "think" it has to do with the excessive load in the front pulling you forward. You might be running more on your toes than normal. (?) Anyhow. No worries! It will not take long to regain your fitness. I bet you will maintain 100% of your aerobic.

Raina said...

Oh, I think you look BEAUTIFUL, Laurie! So pretty and SO far along now!

I remember my calves really getting worked when I was running in my third trimester. I "think" it has to do with the excessive load in the front pulling you forward. You might be running more on your toes than normal. (?) Anyhow. No worries! It will not take long to regain your fitness. I bet you will maintain 100% of your aerobic.

Dick said...

You just need to face the cold, hard truth Laurie...you're getting old!!! Just kidding.

I'm proud of your mom too. The weather in KFalls Saturdy absolutely sucked. 20 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 40 don't make for a pleasant run. On the bright side, there were only 3 of us on the OC&E Trail.

Dick said...

I'm not really illiterate... "Saturday" actually does have an "a" in it. Even in Klamath Falls.

Zaneta said...

You are beautiful in that pic!!! :) I love it! :) Sadly, I can't help out with any names lol... my husband and I only have one girl name picked out for any possible future kids we may have lol...

Jane said...

Hi! Just found your blog and I am thrilled to see that you are running (or would be without an injury) at 32 weeks! I am a runner currently in my first pregnancy - 22 weeks today. I'm still running, although like you said, slower and for shorter distances. It still feels good and so I'm taking it one day at a time and hoping to keep going. So finding other moms who have run throughout pregnancy really encourages me!

Catey said...

You look adorable!!

I hope it doesn't sound mean, but it's kind of nice to see someone else having lower leg problems during pregnancy, including the other comment here. I didn't have this happen last time and it's really driving me crazy. :/ Had to bail from a half last weekend and go the 5k route instead. Oh well. At least I finished up toward the top instead of hobbling through the half and finishing toward the bottom. :P

I'm still impressed that you have a half planned at 38wks!
I like slightly different boys' names, they never work out here. A couple of my favorites last time were Taj and Hamilton. Hubbs would never go for either!

Silvia Bennett said...

I enjoy your blog! Makes me miss living in Oregon, although I'll settle for Seattle, for now. You look great, wow-32 weeks, and still running! Plus 4 kiddos too, you inspire me! I have one, and find it difficult at times to schedule running & family life, etc, thanks for sharing your stories!