Friday, March 9, 2012

PureFit Nutrition Bars - mmmm yummy

A short while ago (okay, actually it's been quite a while now, I've been super negligent in posting) I had the opportunity to try out PureFit Nutrition Bars.  The PureFit bars come in five different flavors, granola crunch, peanut butter crunch, almond crunch, berry almond crunch and chocolate brownie.  I was lucky enough to receive a full bar of each flavor.

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much from these bars.  Here is some of the nutrition info from their website:
  • NO Hydrogenated Oils
  • NO Animal Products - Vegan
  • NO Cholesterol or Trans Fatty Acids
  • NO Wheat or Gluten
  • NO Artificial Sweeteners
  • NO Hidden Carbohydrates
  • NO Sugar Alcohol
Usually, as far as I'm concerned, the more "no" ingredients an item has the more likely it is to have no taste, no flavor and generally be no good.  With that in mind, I decided to try what I figured to be my least favorite flavor first, almond crunch.  I was genuinely surprised at the amount of flavor it did have.  Dare I say, it was actually good.  I enjoyed eating it.  So did Leona and Jonny who happened to be in the kitchen at the time saying, please, please, please.  After they had some, I had to hide the rest of the bars or they would've eaten them all up. 

I'm a big fan of these types of bars.  Usually, and especially when I run early before the day starts, I don't have time to sit down and have some grand recovery type meal.  Having a bar on hand keeps me from skipping out on important post workout fueling.  These bars worked great for that, although I admit, I found myself craving some chocolate one afternoon and caved in and ate the chocolate bar "just because it looked so tasty".  Surprisingly enough though, the chocolate brownie was not my favorite flavor, I think that would have to be reserved for the peanut butter crunch.   

Really the only thing negative I have to say about the bars is they seemed very "dry", as in, I would not want to eat one of these bars without a big glass of water around, it definitely left me thirsty.  The bar itself wasn't dry, maybe kind of "chalky" is a better word, but with some water handy they were perfect.

I think it's really cool that they are a bar that is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, kosher and diabetic friendly.  There are so many people with diet restrictions (luckily I'm not one... I'll eat just about anything) that it's nice for them to have some options for refueling that actually taste good.  I also like that the bars don't melt.  That isn't too much of a concern for most of the year here in Eugene, but if I were to take them out on a long run in the summer, it's great to know that they wouldn't turn into a gooey, sticky mess.  (I wasn't able to test this out though as we won't be seeing "bar melting weather" inside or outside of our house for several months.)

Overall, I think they are great tasting bars that seem to be very nutritionally sound.  You can purchase them online HERE (as well as several other products) or check out the "Where to Buy" link and find a dealer near you.  Here in Eugene, it appears that Capella Market on 25th & Willamette is a supplier. 


2 comments:

Raina said...

My kids will beg for anything in a wrapper too. :)

Nicely written review. Hope the baby got his/her share as well!

Heather said...

Ooh! I tried these at the conference I went to last fall and have used the samples they gave me on some of our long runs. My favorite is granola crunch. I also liked the peanut butter too. I was surprised they were as good as they are, like you said, since they are all those special things like gluten free, dairy free, etc (which usually means taste free too). But not these--I agree with your review. Very tasty!