Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Helllllooooo wind....

I have never claimed that running while pushing two kids in a double jogger is easy.  However, there are definitely factors that can contribute to the ease in which a run goes.  Emotionally, it helps if this kids aren't grumpy or feeling the need to fight with each other.  This is best accomplished if the run occurs during at least one child's nap time and plenty of snacks/books/toys are brought along.  Physically, the path one chooses to run on makes a lot of difference.  Obviously, lots of uphills will require more pushing effort as will running on bark trails.  In addition, I've found out the hard way, strollers move much more efficiently when their tires are properly inflated.  

One thing that a stroller pusher has no control over, however is the weather.  I've run in pretty icy conditions a couple of times and actually found the stroller to be helpful with maintaining balance.  It's also nice to have the stroller when the weather decides to be fickle and a variety of clothing layers are required.  There is one weather condition, however, that is never, ever, ever conducive for stroller running.... WIND.  For this reason, when, on Sunday night I was checking the weather forecast for Monday and saw this:
 I was extremely motivated to get up early and run sans stroller.  However, Monday morning came too early, as it often does, and I found myself still fast asleep when I should've been out running.  That left me with three options:  1.  Run with the stroller in the wind.  2.  Run after the kids were in bed.  3.  Skip out on the run.  Option #3 was not really an option, I wanted to get that run in.  Option #2 wasn't really an option either because yesterday was the Timbers opening match against the Philadelphia Union (which they one 3-1 by the way) and we had promised the kids they could stay up for the first half and I had plans to watch the Bachelor season finale with some girls (which was fun even though I had only seen 1 prior episode) so that left me 15 minutes to do 5 miles... ha ha, not likely.  That left option #1, running with the kids... how bad could the wind be?!  Well, take a look for yourself:

If for some reason you couldn't or didn't chose to view my excellent cinematography skills, the wind looked a little something like this:
why, yes, that is my big pregnant belly... aren't I a lovely hue of purple?!
So, the run was honestly one of the most difficult 5 miles of my life... seriously.  The wind was blowing from the south and, I knew that for almost 2 miles of my run, I'd be running directly into it.  The first 3/4 of a mile I headed west and there was a pretty heavy side wind, but I couldn't really pick up on the gusts too much.  Then I turned directly South and it was like someone slammed the brakes on the stroller and I about ran into it.  Literally there were points when the wind would gust and I would basically stop moving.  It was fun to watch the pace on my watch drop slower and slower and slower despite the fact that I was working much more strenuously to keep going.  I contemplated turning around about 1 1/2 miles in, but the thing that kept me going was the promise of a nice tail wind on the return.

Eventually, I hit that turn around point and all of a sudden it seemed like the wind had stopped.  I could tell it was still blowing, but it surely didn't seem as intense.  Then all of a sudden it gusted, very forcefully taking the stroller with it and almost pulling me over.  Leona got a huge delight out of that and squealed, "Yay Mommy, we're running so fast!!  Do it again, do it again!"  At least someone was having fun.  (Jonny of course was sleeping and missing out on all the action.)  With a tighter grip on the stroller handle (and the thought that I really should attach the safety strap) we managed to make it home in a much faster fashion then we had ventured out in... until we hit that side wind again, going uphill (ever so slightly uphill, but uphill nonetheless) to our house.

All I know is that between pushing with all my might on the first half of the run coupled with trying to hold the stroller back on the return trip I got an amazing total body workout on yesterday's run.  I also learned my lesson and will not be taking the stroller out in another wind storm any time soon.

8 comments:

Amber said...

Holy smokes you are my hero. I don't even like running in wind alone let along pushing 2 kids and carrying another in the oven. Nice job....crazy lady! :)

Taryn said...

That must have been the best arm workout ever!

Dick said...

Great pic, Laurie! Did you shave off your hair?? :)

The wind sucks. When we lived in The Dalles it forced me to quit riding my bike and start running. Your mom went for a little run yesterday too...you're both to be commended!

Becky at Prairie Runner said...

Wind is the worst - I would take bitter cold and torrential rains over wind any day! You are amazing - great determination!!

Marci said...

You've done a lot of crazy things but this has got to be one of the craziest. I'm glad you guys didn't blow away.

Jess@themommymiles said...

Yes! Up here in Portland the wind was incredible too. I did the opposite of you, and hid in my house. Way to go Mama!

Stephanie said...

You are the most intense person I know and would like to say you are my HERO!!!!

Janet said...

I ran the hardest 2 miles of my life in the same wind. I was sure if it stopped I would fall down I was leaning in so hard. Way to go with pushing a stroller in it. Love your diagram with the pregnant belly. :o)