Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Happy Spring.

Today is the first day of spring.  Hooray!  I love spring, it is one of my favorite seasons.  I love the blossoms on the trees, the green grass and all the beautiful daffodils and tulips.  I'd say that I love the sunshine but we don't get much of that here in the spring.  I do love the rain, although sometimes it would be nice if we could get a daily reprieve from it.

To celebrate the end of winter yesterday, I loaded the kids up for a quick and easy 3 miler.  They were both asleep within half a mile so I contemplated making it a longer run but ultimately decided that after my trouble recovering from the 6 on Saturday I'd be better off with the shorter mileage.  As it was though, it was  a very pleasant run (sleeping kids will have that effect) and I felt much better overall than I did running previously.

To celebrate the first day of spring today, I thought it would be a good idea to take out a parked car and in the process teach my kids a new swear word.  Yep, I'm that smart.  I also love how Jonny won't say or repeat any words until it's something like "Oh sh*t!  Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t" and then he's all over it, enunciating clear as day.  I thought for sure that when we walked into playgroup that he and Leona were going to be all about sharing their newfound verbosity... luckily all the bikes and scooters distracted them before they could corrupt all the innocent children of the mother's that have cleaner mouths and are probably better at parking too.

Luckily, no one was hurt in the crash (outside of my pride and record as a good driver... although I have never claimed to be a good parker).  We now have some lovely scrapes down the side of our car and some poor person out there is missing their front headlight and looking a little bit worse for the wear.  Ugh.  Although slightly tempted to run away like a broke coward, I did do the honorable thing and leave a note (inside a plastic baggie so that it wouldn't disintegrate in all of our beautifully springy liquid sunshine).  Now after talking to Dan (and my mom), I've been told that accidents happen and it's nothing to mope around the rest of the day over so I guess I should probably pull myself out of my little pitty party and get something done.  If nothing else, Dan reminded me that it's a good thing to be married to an attorney, who, when his clerkship is over, might have nothing better to do than help his poor wife out of all her legal troubles (I added that last part).

So, anyway, happy first day of spring... hope your's is off to a better start than mine.

3 comments:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Oh, I feel so bad for you and the car. If it makes you feel better...years ago, I backed into the only tree in the parking lot at our local park...took out the tail light and everything. I cried. Darn immovable objects.

Dick said...

Spring? What's that? We had 4 inches of snow on the ground yesterday morning, and although it melted, we're forecasting more for today. It makes running less than pleasant!

Sorry about your wreck, Laurie! But it IS nice to know that Jonny is talking! Maybe he'll demonstrate his new vocabulary this Sunday during church!

Jess@themommymiles said...

Oh that is the worst! So sorry! But I gotta admit, Jonny repeating your word cracks me up!