Monday, March 12, 2012

12 Miles, Pancakes & Toxic Fumes

Saturday, I had the opportunity to hook up with Heather for my long run.  We decided on 12 miles.  It never ceases to amaze me how much easier running is with someone to take your mind off it.  The time and mileage passed quickly and relatively easily.  Granted we weren't breaking any speed records, but 12 miles at almost 29 weeks... I'll take it.  (Thanks Heather!)  The weather was much warmer than expected and it was great to start out without needing a headlamp.  I could actually see the blossoms on the trees and it got me really excited at the prospect of spring being just around the corner.

My mom, who is also training for the Hippie Chick Half (her first half ever!!!) ran her longest run to date, 8 miles, on Saturday.  She has been fighting with an ornery calf/Achilles for the past little bit but powered through her new mileage pr without problem.  I'm so proud of her and super excited too.  I know she'll be able to handle this half without problem.  I'm really looking forward to it, I think we're going to have a great time together.  I also have a good friend, Marci, running it too.  She recently let us all in on her big pregnancy secret, so it's great to know that I won't be the only crazy pregnant person out there on the course waddling around.

Sunday, with the time change, we had the opportunity to sleep in.  I figured, we'd probably make it to 7:30, since the kid's would think it was only 6:30.  I was quite surprised when I woke up and it was 8:30!!  That is amazing for us here in Casa de los Higgins.  I finally rolled out of bed closer to 9am when I heard Leona say, "Thank you for these delicious pancakes Emme."  Emme has gotten on this kick where she thinks she can cook.  She actually does pretty well with eggs, but has recently taken to tackling pancakes. The last attempt was several weeks ago, which left the kitchen covered (and I do mean covered... floor, counters, wall...) in dry pancake mix, super runny pancake batter and the garbage can filled with failed attempts.  She apparently was also left with the desire to redeem herself.  Yesterday morning's attempt yielded much better results, however I fear the kitchen didn't make out much better than last time.
The super sweetie, however, thought Dan and I should start out the day with a little romance... enter the gigantic heart shaped pancake on a plate made for two:
She was also kind enough to make sure even the furriest of our family members had some breakfast goods.
We've gone over, again, some of the finer points of pancake making, i.e. using cooking spray on the griddle and making more "size appropriate" cakes and I'm sure it won't be long before she is a pro.

Also, with the time change (and the power nap I had at 4pm yesterday), we stayed up waaaaaaaay to late last night.  Despite my desire to get up early and run this morning, I turned off my alarm before even falling asleep.  I knew that the 5 1/2 hours of sleep I would get just wouldn't be enough for me to be pleasant to be around today, and no one wants that.  I will probably head out here with the kids in a little bit because right now I've been on a mildew/mold rampage in our house.  It seems that just over the weekend our house has been taken over by the great Eugene inhabitant and I have declared war.  Needless to say though, we are all getting a little bit loopy on the toxic fumes of cleaner that are permeating our quaint home and now we must escape them.

5 comments:

Taryn said...

Awww, that looks so sweet and fun! What a great time! :)

Raina said...

Awesome 12 miles at 29 weeks! You and your mom and friend will have a fantastic time.

Great pancakes! That idea of kids cooking up surprises scares me a little.

Heather said...

Thanks for the run on Saturday! And especially a big thanks for the "refueling" treat you delivered on Sunday. :) We discovered that they taste quite delicious slightly warmed in the microwave making the inside a bit melty! Don't know if it was a result of the running conversation on Saturday, but forgot to tell you that Saturday night I dreamed I was stuck in the Minneapolis airport trying to get to a connecting flight. Nobody could tell me how to get there except for one man who had an airport map and he was going to charge me $32 for it!

Marci said...

I'll be lucky if I can keep up with your waddle even though I'll only be half as prego as you. You're the best.

Stephanie said...

Emme is so thoughtful. I remember getting up and making them pancakes when you went into labor with Jonny or maybe leona. I can't remember which one... weird anyway I bet Emme is better at making them than I am. I did however attempt Mickey Mouse pancakes haha. I love your family!!