Thursday, January 19, 2012

Never regret a run...

After a little bit of whining about no motivation and slightly miserable weather (windy & rainy) yesterday, I loaded the kids up in the stroller and we headed out for our lovely 6 mile adventure.  I'm really glad I did.  In fact, I don't think I've ever gone for a run that I haven't been glad I did.  It was pouring, but it wasn't too cold.  Jonny fell asleep before we were 1/2 mile in and Leona had a snack and two princess barbies "Cinderella" and "Tina" (what you haven't hear of Princess Tina?!) to keep her entertained.  When we got off the sidewalk and onto the bike path the amount of rain was much more evident... the path was flooded.  You probably can't tell, but there is water literally pouring off the grassy area onto the path before headed downhill towards Amazon Creek.
Amazon Creek, by the way, was looking much less creek-like and much more like it's big, big Amazonian sister... the real Amazon River. I was impressed.  With 100% chance of rain over the next, oh, I don't know, 4 months (it is winter in the PacNW after all) it might really make a name for itself.

The ducks however were having a lovely time swimming in the lake formerly known as Amazon Park.
For the most part the run was pretty uneventful.  There were some occasional wind gusts that were pretty strong and for the mile that I was pushing the stroller directly into the wind it was pretty miserable, but I knew that as soon as I hit 3 miles I'd find my cross street that would turn us around for a mile with the wind completely at my back... better believe that was my fastest mile of the run.

As far as pregnant running goes, I think I've kind of gotten into a groove.  I'm pretty uncomfortable for the first little bit, maybe a mile or so, then either I get used to it or I stop being uncomfortable, either way works for me.  My paces have dropped considerably, but I'm really okay with that.  I still every once in a while hit a groove where I see numbers that I'm little more used to and they make me smile but, again, I'm not overly concerned with getting progressively slower... it's going to happen.  I've found that I'm much hungrier and definitely can't head out without having a quick snack first.  Yesterday, I ate a banana and a handful of Craisins and managed to make the whole 6 miles without a grumbling tummy.  I've been trying to increase my water intake during the day, but really struggle during the winter... it's a lot easier to drink water when it's hot outside.  Anytime I'm running 6 miles or more I'm also taking water with me.  On the other hand I try not to drink too much right before I head out because in the winter time, bathrooms on my routes are mostly closed for the season.

3 comments:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Nice run. Glad the water didn't get in the way of your route. I've done all three of my runs this week on the treadmill at the gym. This weather is ridiculous (and dangerous). Drove around last night, in the dark on flooded streets. Best to stay home.

Micha said...

I ran at Amazon today and the ducks really caught me off guard! I'm not sure why. I can't believe you're still going strong. Not pregnant I struggle to keep going :)

JazznJenna said...

..."In fact, I don't think I've ever gone for a run that I haven't been glad I did." I can relate. So why don't I run more? I haven't been out for weeks. I can't handle the weather on top of the reservations I already have about going when it's nice outside (my reservations being one, specifically--"it's hard"). But I love reading about your successes! Thanks for the motivation today, to get out again a.s.a.p.