Thursday, January 12, 2012

Just some random things...

1.  I started and finished The Hunger Games yesterday.  I have a really hard time putting books down once I start them, especially if they're good books.  I knew this would happen and tried to put off reading it as long as I could.  I've been on hold for it at the library for close to 6 months and when my name finally came up I was super excited but waited 4 days (there is a 7 day hold limit) before picking it up.  Then, once I got it home I knew once I started reading it I wouldn't be able to put it down, so I made myself wait 3 more days and several batches of laundry before finally picking it up.  Now it's over and I'm #38 on the hold list for the second book in the series.  Even though I can keep the first book for another 2 1/2 weeks, I'm hoping that by taking it back to the library today I will get some good library karma and maybe the wait list for book 2 will move along a little bit faster.

2.  I ran 6 miles yesterday.  This is the longest I've gone since my ultra and since I started really feeling (and looking) pregnant.  It started off pretty slowly but it was a beautifully sunny, although freezing cold morning.  I bundled the kids up and by waiting until 11:30 to go (I had to finish Hunger Games first) they were both asleep within the first mile.  I felt a lot better on the return trip then I did on the way out and even though 3 miles about killed me on Monday, I'm feeling good after the 6 yesterday.  This gives me hope that maybe taking 3 weeks off was taking a toll on me and I'll be able to get back into a nice running groove pretty easily as I continue to build my mileage back up.

3.  Tomorrow is my ultrasound appointment for my pregnancy. Normally this is the appointment that I am super excited for... getting to find out the sex of the baby.  We've decided this time though, to go with the whole "surprise" theme and not determine the baby's gender.  I'm still excited for the appointment it's always cool to get to see the baby, but somehow not finding out the gender takes a little of the thrill out of it.

4.  I'm tired of changing diapers.  I've been changing diapers for the past 8 years, pretty much daily...  although there was a small reprieve between Calvin and Leona.  I suppose one would think, "You've been doing it for 8 years, aren't you used to it?!"  Well, I suppose I am used to it and I'm quite proficient and really pretty quick at it, but it surely doesn't mean that I enjoy it.  I don't even want to know how many poopy diapers I have changed since Emme was born... tooooooo many.  With the addition of the new baby, I have probably another 3 years of diaper changing to go.  I told Dan the other day that if at any point in our old age he needs to be put in diapers I will be hiring a nurse to take care of him.  He assured me that if he gets to that point I won't need to be calling a nurse but someone with a little more "lethal ability".

5.  I suppose that's about it, but I hate to sign off while talking about poop.  Instead, I'll leave you with a super cheesy running joke about two things near and dear to my heart... running & blondes:

A blonde goes out for a run. She comes to a river and cannot see a bridge anywhere nearby. She spots another blonde on the opposite bank. "Yoohoo doll!" she shouts, "How can I get to the other side?" The second blonde looks up the river then down the river then shouts back, "You're already on the other side!" 

Hope you all have a super sunny, poopy diaper free, day.

11 comments:

Run with Jess said...

I want another baby (#3) so badly... I think. Hubs does not. So we're at a stalemate. Kinda forgot about the whole diaper thing... it's feels like so long since I've changed one. Hmm, not sure I wanna go back to that. So thanks for the poopy story! LOL

Stephanie said...

Holy smokage! That's what I get for being off my blogging game! I completely missed the big prego announcement! :P I had to go back quite a few posts to read the details of the "we're not having another one" recalled. LOL Well, for what it's work congratulations belatedly and way to go with all your races. My goodness, Laurie, you've been productive. In more ways than one. ;) Love ya, girlie.

me/mom/NANA said...

I understand about the diapers. Counting daycare kids I have been changing diapers for about 40 years. Yet another good reason to move. No more baby daycare. Hope all goes well tomorrow with your ultra sound. Let us know what you "SEE".

track coach and adorable wife said...

I have been absent too long, you're pregnant? Holy hannah, congrats! It is always funny to see tiny women pregnant!

I hear ya on the diapers thing. I currently change diapers for 3 kids, too much!

XLMIC said...

You are so awesomely badass...stroller running while pregnant. You go, girl :)

Diapers...yeah. Miss C is still there and she'll be 3 in March. Yesterday at Target I bought what I hope will be our last box of diapers. She flipped out because they are 'baby' diapers. There is a picture of a baby on the box! Ummmm...yeah, girl. So how about that potty? And she said, "no". Ugh. LOL.

Glad you are feeling good!

giraffy said...

Hahaaa. I thought I was tired of it after #2, and was so excited when she went to her first day of kindergarten... a week later, BAM, surprise #3.

True story: I was once complimented on my diaper changing at Disney World.

Hope your ultrasound is fun!

The Unexpected Runner said...

My son just finished The Hunger Games & has informed me that we are going out on the weekend to get book 2 AND book 3, because he doesn't want to wait around between books like he's had to do this week...never thought I'd hear THOSE words out of that kids mouth!

Enjoy the ultrasound! How exciting!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Ooh, a surprise baby. How fun! I think Leona will always be my fav. I can say that because I'm not related, right?

Beth said...

The Hunger Games are AMAZING! But do yourself a favor and have book 3 at the ready when you finish book 2. The suspense might be bad for the baby!!

Catey said...

Yeah, just go buy #2 or find a friend you can get it from. You don't want to wait till you roll around from 38 to 1. I promise. :)
Also, when you finish those, I just read Matched and am about halfway through Crossed...the third in that set comes out in the fall. Same kind of dystopian theme, very entertaining and not nearly as violent. :)
GL with the surprise-you are braver than I! Hope the u/s was wonderful even without the big gender reveal.
And my last 3 miler sucked by my 6 yesterday felt like heaven. If I hadn't had a time limit I think I could have run forever. And even without a bathroom break! lol But I am still uber impressed and slightly jealous at your ultra. :)
Diapers-I hear ya!

Fruit Fly said...

Ooh, I think this is exciting -- being surprised about the gender on the actual birth day!

I have to admit, I laughed at the blond joke!