Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I need some motivation...

Lately I have been lacking a whole lot of motivation... for running, blogging, parenting... really just about everything.  (Well, everything except finishing books 2 and 3 of the Hunger Games series, I did manage to get that done over the past few days, thanks to a good friend who loaned me her copies.)  Last night I went to a girls' night where we played "Just Dance 3" until the wee hours of the morning (11pm... trust me, that's late for me.)  Before I left I got my running stuff ready so that I could get up this morning and get my run in sans stroller.  I knew it would be hard to pull myself out of bed after only a few hours of sleep (it was well after midnight when I finally "wound down" enough to fall asleep) but I also knew that it was important as today's weather forecast called for lots of rain and high winds... which is not very conducive for stroller running.  However, when 4:40am rolled around and I was rudely awakened from my dream about dancing camels and I heard nothing but pounding rain and blowing trees, sleep won out.

Now, here I sit trying to convince myself that this run is important and I need to get out and do it.  Here's a glance at the current weather situation:
 I have no idea where it got the idea of "light rain", trust me with water cascading down the sidewalk outside of my house and a nice puddle building at the storm drain on the street corner there is absolutely nothing "light" about what the rain is doing right now.  It's the kind of rain where one would get absolutely drenched walking from their front door to the street and back.  I live in Eugene though, the rain I can deal with. Yes, I'll get soaked but I'll eventually dry out again, it's the wind that really gives me hesitation.  Have you ever pushed a double jogging stroller into a 27mph wind gust... not a pleasant thing to do... it makes for some really slow going.  (No joke, I seriously just saw a huge plastic garbage can be blown out into the road.)  At what point does it stop becoming a question of motivation and start becoming a question of sanity... would it be crazy to take my kids out there right now or myself for that matter?  Where is my treadmill when I really need it?!

6 comments:

Tricia said...

Pushing a jogging stroller in high winds SUUUUUCKS.

Your kids will dry out too :) Good luck!

me/mom/NANA said...

I am thinking, a warm blanket, a cup of hot chocolate, a good book and a comfy place to stay put. the kids are good for a movie and snacks I am sure. Either way enjoy the rain. It is snowing pretty good here.

Emz said...

I'm pretty sure I should send you my TM when I get a new one. ;) I'm all for running in a light misty rain but..... cold heavy rain. NOTAFREAKINGCHANCE.
You rock lady.

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

At least we avoided the snow. Thank goodness. This rain and wind stinks too, but snow and ice are much worse.

Kristin said...

A treadmill is a must for days like those!

Heather said...

Ugh! I went yesterday in the rain/snow mix and wind. And it was NOT pleasant. Trying to do it alone at 5 am would have never happened for me! I voted for a day off today. If you don't get out today, text me and I'll meet you early tomorrow.