Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Let's do some mountain climbing...

Why is it that when things get put on paper they always seem a lot worse?  For example, I've run just about every inch of the upcoming Frozen Trail Run Fest  50K and I know that it is pretty hilly but for some reason seeing those hills in print makes them seem soooooo much worse.
Looks fun doesn't it?!  The silliest part is it really isn't the big hills that will reduce me to tears.  Do you see that after every big hill there is a little tiny (in comparison) blip on the chart?  That little mound is known as trail #7.  Let me just tell you that 7 is not my lucky number.  7 will make me cry.  One would think that after scaling, repeatedly, those Mt. Everest wannabe hills it would be no big deal to tackle that barely even noticeable bump of a hill but that isn't so.  That little mound, trail #7, I detest.  I loathe.  I downright hate it.  Aaaaand, trust me, I notice it.  I think it might be because after finally conquering the real elevation and coming down the other side, the last thing I want to run into and over is another hill... no matter how small.  It's just mean.  The fact that we have to do it on every. single. loop. is even worse.  I don't even think it is a mile in length and it might not even be quite 100 feet gain but it is just enough to put the nail in my coffin.

If trail #7 doesn't finish me off, attempting the summit at mile 27 surely will.  Who had the brilliant idea to do this race anyway?!  Good new is, there is supposed to be 90% chance of rain tomorrow with temperatures not dropping below freezing again before Saturday so there will be plenty of mud.  Frozen trail... ha ha.

7 comments:

Marci said...

I'm crying for you. You are going to feel so good after it is over and you and your little birthday girl can watch the Nutcracker all the time knowing that you are awesome. I'll be thinking about you guys all weekend. Have fun.

JazznJenna said...

I found your blog today through my friend Laurie sharing this link on her facebook page. I am just a wannabe runner that feels amazing for running even 30 minutes, like I did today (woohoo!). (...Well, maybe I did 40 today, but who's counting? And does it count if a snail passed me?) Anyway, I just wanted to leave a quick comment to tell you that you ARE AWESOME, and inspiring, and I enjoyed your post! Good luck in your race!!

JazznJenna said...

Oh wait a second...HI LAURIE! I didn't realize this is YOUR blog, not a friend of yours! How silly of me. It's funny, I was thinking--"Wow, I knew Laurie was awesome, but I didn't know she had a friend that could do things as awesome as SHE can!" You're the best! Again, good luck!!

mommyrunfast said...

Wow-those are impressive hills! I learned to appreciate hills a bit more when living in upstate ny, but never came to love them the way some people do. :) I look forward to hearing about it!

Run Momma Run said...

Laurie - I have a feeling you will pound that rain and frozen muck into next week! You're strong and determined and you'll beat that mountain. I love running Pisgah and have missed it terribly this summer. I ran a 26er on it (up and down, up and down) to train for SOB and I thought I would die. But we live to try to kill ourselves another day! Ha! Can't wait for the report, awesome runner momma!

Fruit Fly said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

I am sooo glad I weenied out and didn't choose to do ANY of the distances for that race. Holy cow! That would make me cry.

Good luck! Enjoy those big hills and just go and tackle stupid number 7. Psh, what is 7 anyway. You are so much better than 7! ;)

Heather said...

You are a hill-walkin' cry baby!!! :) J/K! I LOATHE #7 TOO. I was just thinking today about #7 and I got very very scared. I'm more scared of repeating #7 FOUR times than I am of the summit. Stupid, stupid #7.