Friday, December 9, 2011

It's official...

I just might need to be institutionalized.  I've apparently completely lost my mind.  Good news is, Heather is right there with me.  A week from tomorrow, we will both be running our first 50K at the Frozen Trail Runfest right here in Eugene.  Yeah, that's right we are paying to run 31 miles around and around and around and finally over the muddy trails of Mt. Pisgah.
This is the second year the event has been offered, so it must have gone okay last year with no one dying or getting lost in the mud.  Don't let the "frozen trail" part fool you, very little if any of this trail run will be frozen but there is guaranteed to be some pretty decent ankle (at least) deep mud.  You know, the kind that if your shoes aren't tied on quite tightly enough the mud will take them away and only give them back with a great deal of effort on your part.  Doesn't it sound fun?!

I managed to find a few race reports from people that ran the race last year, if you're interested, here is what they had to say:  Dan Olmstead won the men's division of the 50K in 4:34:33(his report HERE) and Pam Smith received top honors for the women with a time of 4:58:39 (her report HERE).  There are several other race options provided:  5K, 6.4M, 8.2M, and 14.6M.  When searching for reports, I also came across Jeff McKay's, a local runner who participated last year in the 14.6 miler.  He had a lot to say about it HERE.

Heather and I, fortunately or maybe unfortunately, know exactly what we are getting ourselves into.  So far we've done 22 and 24 miles at Mt. Pisgah and plan to head back this weekend for another 10 to 12.  It won't be easy and it might not always be fun but we promise to try to enjoy ourselves as much as possible (sorry no tutus this time though).   We have a main goal of finishing (which on some days I think might be a bit overambitious) and of course we have some time goals... hopefully to come in somewhere between 6 and 6 1/2 hours but well below the course time limit of 8 hours.

I don't think that it has quite sunk in yet that I'm actually racing next weekend.  I had all sorts of plans for running a bunch of miles this week then finally realized that I should probably be tapering and completely cut out one of my runs.  I maxed out last week at just under 50 miles, which definitely won't get me a winning time but should give me enough mileage to adequately handle the distance.  I really don't have any plans to "race" this race and maybe that is why the nerves and true apprehension haven't set in.  I plan to merely go for a nice long, long, long run while enjoying the company of a good running friend and if I manage to finish in front of a few other people in the process then I'll consider that a bonus.

In case you were wondering, it isn't too late to register if you'd like to join in on the fun.  :)
The views are worth it...
 unless of course it's foggy.  :)

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Awesome! Yes, I think you're crazy - in a good way. You need to plan a trip to Colorado next August and do the Warrior Dash at Copper Mountain. (You can have my spot - already registered and paid for.)

XLMIC said...

LOVE that foggy pic! :P

Have fun...I wish I were in the kind of shape to take that one on! Maybe someday...

Emz said...

Laurie!!!
You've sooooooooo freaking got this!!
I love it!!

Fruit Fly said...

Ooh, I'm so excited that you are doing this! I actually looked at that race - but one of the shorter distances, then weenied out. I shall live vicariously through you!

Have a blast!!

trifitmom said...

good for you. i lost my mind too but it is because i can't run and i am going nutty !!!

Catey said...

Yay!! I am so excited for you to do this! I found the first 50k I want to do, but it's on delay for a bit. :)
Also, after catching up here I am now totally craving chocolate covered gummy bears. Thanks. :P

P said...

Totally laughed out loud at the non-foggy vs. foggy pics! You are such a superhero!!

mommyrunfast said...

Isn't it so funny that we pay to do what other people consider torture? :) Good for you for signing up! I'm enjoying your blog! Laura