Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I want world peace too...

Last night when I finally took off for my run it was 8:19pm.  Dan got home from work a little before 7pm, we had the kids in bed (and asleep) by 7:30 but then I sat on the couch thinking about getting ready to go running while just hanging out with Dan.  I wasn't necessarily putting off my run and I knew that I was going to go no matter what but I wasn't in the biggest hurry to head out the door.  Maybe it had a little to do with the temperature
and the fact that it was dark and the cars were all already iced over.  I never know how to dress for running in the cold and dark.  I sit (okay, that is a relative term, I really don't do much sitting) all day in my house freezing, so when it does come time for me to head out into the cold dark world I tend to overdress.  I think this stems from growing up when my mom would bundle us up to go out and play in the snow.  We would pile on layer upon layer of socks and jammies and sweatpants and sweaters under our coats and jeans before adding hats and gloves.  It of course never failed that once we were all bundled up we then had to go to the bathroom.  Last night was no different.  I had on knee length compression socks, under full length tights under a skirt with a long sleeved shirt and my favorite, warmest running jacket.  I also had on an ear warmer headband, a reflective running vest, gloves and my headlamp. As soon as I was bundled up and ready to head out the door, for old times sake, I decided I better get back unbundled and go to the bathroom again.  I realize 30 (even feels like 23) isn't all that cold to most of you cold weather folks but to us warmer weather Willamette Valley types it was quite brisk.

For the most part I warm without overheating.  I ended up losing the gloves about 2 1/2 miles in (I don't know why my hands always get so hot while running) but the rest of me stayed fairly comfortable.  It was cold and dark and I didn't see a single other runner, which for Eugene, no matter what time of the day, is very rare.  I love running at night during the holidays because I get to look at all the pretty Christmas lights and when people have their blinds open their Christmas trees too.  Their were some pretty colorful house and one house that had all red, white and blue lights and their tree was completely covered in red.  I saw 4 different houses with peace signs within a 6 block radius.  Each one was a different color but one house went above and beyond by including a huge inflatable globe.  They don't just want generic peace, they want world peace this holiday.
The world is the blurry spot in the middle.
I'm glad that I went last night, it was a great way to end my day.  Now only one measly 3 mile run left before race day.  Crazy thing is, even running only 3 times this week I will still finish the week with just over 40 miles!!  Running a 50K will do that I guess.

4 comments:

Dick said...

You're right, Laurie...30 degrees (feels like 23) is just a tad warmer than what we're dealing with in KFalls. This morning when I fed the horses it was 8 degrees (feels like there's no reason for any sane person to be outside)...the kind of cold when you breathe in through your nose your nostrils get stuck. I was going to start running with your mom, but I think I'll wait a couple of weeks.

Amber said...

My hands get hot too! It was a wind chill of 11 here the other day and my gloves were gone around mile 4.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Sounds like a lovely run. I need to get out there for a night run. I love seeing the lights too. I forgot about that. So excited for you this weekend! I've never ever run over 26.2...wow! Good luck Laurie. Thinking of you!

Heather said...

Well guess what!?! You are OFFICIALLY listed as an entrant for the race this weekend so there's no turning back. Oh--and they also updated the link to the elevation chart...don't look at it or you just might start to cry (like I did...at least on the inside...I'm saving the real tears for this weekend).