Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Recap pt. 1 - Tree Decorating

It's been a crazy couple of weeks with Christmas, Birthday, Anniversary and being outnumbered 4 to 1 while Dan is at work and the kids are out of school so this whole blogging thing has kind of taken a back burner.  That being said, I really want to document Christmas 2011 before the year is over.  I think I'll be able to do it in three parts...  Here goes part 1, decorating the tree:

Last year we didn't get a Christmas tree.  It was very sad, but Jonny was at that super troublesome age where he got into everything and broke everything he touched (oh, wait, that hasn't changed) and since we were going to be gone to the yurt for Christmas anyway we decided to pass on one.  This year I thought we'd probably pass again since we had the same yurting plans and it would save a bit of money.  However, when offered a free tree left over from our church Christmas party I couldn't refuse.

I'm really, really picky when it comes to Christmas trees.  I want a perfect top and I prefer it to be a Noble Fir... I love the spaced out branches and sometimes "Charlie Brown" look.  I really, really don't care for Douglas Firs.  Buuuuuuuut, beggars can't be choosers and when faced with a free Douglas Fir that looked much more like a bush than a tree I couldn't say no.  Let me just say this was the oddest tree I have ever seen.  It had branches that curved back in on themselves and were all twisted and weird (I wish I had some pictures).  I actually kind of grew to love our Christmas bush.

Anyway, we set up to decorating it and had a lot of fun doing so.
Dan was happy to hang his handmade ornament from 2nd (maybe 3rd?) grade.
I'm sure he'll be happy I posted this.  :)
 What tree would be complete without Oregon decorations...
yellow with a green O

green with a yellow O
or a Santa Claus Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle
Jonny enjoyed putting on the ornaments almost as much as taking them off. 
Since we were gone on Christmas, our kids wore their Christmas best to church the week before Christmas and posed for the requisite tree photo.
The girls...
 The girls with Calvin... blurry and silly, but the best I got.
 Finally, Jonny... who had to have his picture taken, even though he was sick and in his jammies.

1 comment:

Marci said...

You guys are the best and I miss you.