Tuesday, December 20, 2011

5

So, yesterday I finally came out with the big secret that I've been hiding since I found out on Oct. 9th... I'm pregnant.  I've had a good couple of months to come to terms with this fact but I think I shocked quite a few people... like all those close friends and family members that we had assured we were done after having Jonny.  I honestly always wanted five kids... something about odd numbers... but after we had Jonny and our numbers were all evened up (2 boys, 2 girls) things kind of seemed good.  I continued to talk myself into being okay with 4 kids (honestly that's a lot of kids) even though somewhere in the back of my mind I felt like we should have another one.  To prove that I was good with things I got rid of all my maternity clothes and most of our baby clothes, which, according to my mom will basically guarantee a "surprise" child... unless of course one takes more permanent actions, which we didn't.

Finally, I was excited to be done having kids.  I thought about how wonderful it was that I wouldn't get all big and flabby again, no more nursing, no more midnight feedings... I was ready to have my body back.  I spent the year working my butt off.  I worked hard to get in the best shape I've ever been in.  I ran 3 marathons (although I was pregnant for the last one), I got a decent PR in the half, I had a fantastic time running over 20 miles at Hood to Coast... it was a good year for racing.

I'll be the first to admit I was completely shocked and a little upset to find out that I was pregnant.  Outside of having another living being that of course we will love to pieces, it sounds terrible, but I couldn't come up with anything to be happy about.  So much for my spring marathon.  So much for that early summer relay that I had put together (and told all my friends that they couldn't get pregnant and back out of... ha ha) so much for the fit and trim body that I had worked so hard to get.  Yeah, I was pretty much having a huge poor me, pity party.  Luckily I had Dan to see the bright side for me.  When I asked him if there was anything that he could think of, in the short term, to be happy about he paused for a moment, got a big smile and said, "Well, your boobs will get bigger!"  That is true... I've gone from the nice little no-boobs that enabled me to run in tops with the built in shelf bras to the nice big (for me at least) pregnant lady boobs that require double duty sports bras.  I guess there is always a silver lining...  :)  ha ha

Anyway, my kids couldn't be more excited and now that I've overcome the shock of it all, I'm getting there to.  One of the major reasons that I chose to run the Frozen Trail Run Fest 50K is because I know that it will be a long time before I'm in a position to run that far again. I was pretty sick for the first 14 weeks or so if this pregnancy which made training and eating properly a little difficult but having races on the schedule kept me motivated.  I honestly think that I felt better on the days that I ran than I did on my rest days.  Now that I'm well into my 2nd trimester I'm starting to feel a lot better and have much more energy... I can actually stay up past 8pm.

I plan to keep running as much as I can over the next few months.  I signed up to run the Hippie Chick Half in May, knowing full well that it is only 2 weeks before my due date.  I'm running it with friends and with my mom.  It will be her first and I can't wait to be a part of her accomplishing it.  I know it won't be fast and there is a very good chance that my mom will have to take off without me, but I'm excited to have something to work towards and it will definitely keep me motivated as I continue to get bigger and bigger.

Since this has been nothing but a lot of words... here is a bonus pic of Emme and me, almost 8 years ago.  We were both soooooo young!


14 comments:

Beth said...

I know it wasn't expected, but I'm sure this will be a blessing for you and your family. If you keep healthy and consistent, you should be able to run through the pregnancy and be back to serious racing in no time. Congratulations!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Dan is so great. I can't imagine running with big boobs, feeling sick and being pregnant. One of those three is enough for me. You are so tough!

bobbi said...

Congratulations!!!

Raina said...

I KNEW it.
Read my comment from thanksgiving. I think you were hinting! :))hahaha This is a very HAPPY laugh. So glad for you!! And you got in your PG ultra. Amazing.

It's kind of funny that you mentioned getting rid of all the baby stuff as a guarantee of having another. I better go check the garage. Congratulations, Laurie! Big smiles today here.

MotherRunner said...

Congrats to you! Hope you have a safe and easy pregnancy and that you'll be able to run until the day you deliver! :)

Catey said...

Congrats again-SO excited for you!!

Angie Bee said...

That photo is beautiful :)
It reminds me of myself, even the hair, and my babies.
Congrats :)
How did I miss that you are in Eugene??

Amanda@runninghood said...

Congrats!! I have to say that I feel a little sad right now that I won't be having any more. My husband just had a vasectomy. :( I was ready for it but I'm really actually feeling sad and this surprises me. But happy for you. so happy. Wonderful!!

runnerchick said...

Congrats!!!! Good luck and stay healthy:)))

Micha said...

Congratulations!!! That is awesome. If I can do anything to help you or your family please please please let me know.

Tami said...

Congratulations. I'm a mom of 5 and I LOVE it! You're mom's right... you should have never gotten rid of the maternity clothes! Congrats. Love your blog.

Becca said...

Congrats on both!!!! The race and baby #5 both amazing achievements to finish!

Kristin said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you and your family! I recently got rid of all our baby stuff, it's sad, and sometimes I secretly hope there would be an unexpected surprise. But alas, it's not the right time. Anyway, your announcement is wonderful!

Fruit Fly said...

Oh my goodness ... I can't even tell you how excited I am!! Congratulations!! New baby, bigger boobs, more hilarious photos of your children getting into precarious positions in your bathroom fixtures! I cannot wait for you to start posting pictures of what is sure to be an adorable baby belly!!