Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving is my favorite...

I love Thanksgiving.  I love to eat, I love to hang out and visit with people, I love to watch football, I love to make yummy pies and other goodies... there really isn't anything that I don't love about Thanksgiving.  This year, I'm especially excited because the court decided to take on of its budget required furlough days the day after Thanksgiving, so Dan has a 4 day weekend!  As soon as he gets off work (fingers crossed that it is a little bit earlier than normal) we are heading down to Klamath Falls where we will enjoy Thanksgiving with our families.

Every year, my grandma hosts a pretty big Thanksgiving feast.  My parents come, Dan's parents come, whatever siblings I have in town come, several aunts and uncles, a few cousins and sometimes friends and roommates too.  My grandma is the ultimate host and loves to have dinner parties.  She gets a couple of long tables and sets them up in the living room stretched out from the dining room and everyone crowds in.  There is always too much food and it is always amazing.  We follow up Thanksgiving with another grandma hosted party the evening after... kind of a let's kick of the Christmas season party usually filled with fun crafts and games, a homemade gift exchange and of course more food and yummy treats.  It's a good time.  This year, Dan and I made some really awesome gifts to give away.  I'm really excited about them.  I can't tell you what they are because I never know who might read my blog, but I can tell you all about it next week.

I'm also excited because Dan and I are going to go running tomorrow morning to get in the turkey eating mood.  It probably won't be very far or even very fast but it will be the first time we've gone running together in almost 10 years.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the last time we went running together was on Martin Luther King Day in 2002.  Neither of us were very hardcore runners at the time and we were still enough in the newlywed stage of our life that when we woke up to a rain and snow mix (in Eugene, which is pretty rare) and I said, let's go running Dan wasn't brave enough to say, "You crazy woman, what are you talking about, let's sleep in instead"... so we went.

Speaking of the rain, I'm about to go run in it now.  It is absolutely pouring, but I know this day and the trip this evening will be a lot better for me (an in turn my kids) if I've gotten a little bit of outside the house running time.

I hope everyone has a super wonderful Thanksgiving holiday filled with lots of yummy food, a little bit of running and quality time with friends and loved ones.  In the spirit of Thanksgiving, here's a quick & short list of the things I'm thankful for:

1.  Dan - couldn't do any of what I do without him.
2.  My crazy kids - love them to pieces even when they're tearing my house apart (which 3 & 4 are doing right now, of course).
3.  The rest of our families - they keep life interesting and are always there to help us out.
4.  Close friends - the kind that bring awesome cards & terrariums and that I know I could call on for anything.
5.  Unexpected surprises that although are super scary and unplanned are really blessings in disguise.
6.  BOB - I love that stroller... I must if it made #6.  Definitely wouldn't do as much running without him.
7.  Rain - although at times I hate it, I love living in such a green place.
8.  Running and the ability to do it.  It makes me happy & keeps me healthy... better get on that.

What are you thankful for?
Calvin's turkey... ignore the penguin, he came with the paper.

3 comments:

Raina said...

The drawing is great!

This has me wondering...
5. Unexpected surprises that although are super scary and unplanned are really blessings in disguise. ...I will not try to venture a guess. :)

Hope you have a great Turkey day in KFalls!

Heather said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Have a wonderful holiday, a wonderful run with Dan, and a wonderful feast. You'll need all the extra calories you can get for the rest of our training (and race) in the coming weeks! Oh yah...and I can't wait to hear about the really awesome gifts...I need some really awesome gift ideas. Safe travels.

Janet said...

I am thankful for many things but I am especially thankful for a daughter who inspires me to run and who always tells me what a good job I am doing. Thanks