Monday, November 7, 2011

Rain+Leaves+Trails=Best Therapy Ever

I had a hard time talking myself into heading out for my run on Saturday.  I was freezing cold inside my house and I assumed (it isn't always the case) that it was even colder outside. It was raining.  I was tired. I needed to go grocery shopping.  I had tons of excuses.  Ultimately though, I convinced myself to go with the promise of a run on the trails where I could get away from everything else.  I am so glad I did.  I haven't been on the trails for quite a while and it felt so great.

It was pretty much pouring by the time I got to the trail, but with the heavy tree coverage it didn't seem quite as rainy on the trail.  I did manage my first fall though.  There were a couple walking down the trail that I was running up.  To be courteous (and partly because they didn't really scoot over much) I stepped off the trail as I went around them.  Right after I passed them though, while attempting to get back on the trail, I slipped and ate it pretty hard.  Somehow I managed to scrape up both sides of my left hand and my left knee and thigh pretty badly.  I also landed on my left shoulder hard enough to make my arm tingle for the next 1/2 mile.  Unfortunately I was only a half mile into my run, but when I got to the top of that trail section I stopped to assess the damage.  Only minimal blood and the tingling had stopped so I decided to keep going instead of calling it a day at 2 miles.  (I knew it was only time before I had a trail running spill so now I feel like I'm official.  It did help me come up with a rescue plan for if I ever managed to fall off one of the steeper parts of the trail, which is good to have just in case.)  Today my arm is still pretty stiff but no other real damage.  I think I need to learn how to fall a little bit more gracefully.  :)

Anyway, back to my run... I decided to keep going and am very glad I did.  It ended up being just the run I needed.  Because of the rain there where only a few people out hiking and I only came across 2 other runners... which for an early Saturday afternoon, is pretty rare.  When I headed out I was in a bad mood and had a lot of stuff on my mind but by the time I got back to my car I had all but solved all the problems in the world.  I guess 9 1/2 miles on beautifully quite trails in the rain does something for stress relief.  Next time I won't be so hesitant to go.  I love trail running... nothing like it.








As a side note... lately I've been running in the Brooks Green Silence shoes, which I absolutely love, so when I put on my trail shoes (Puma Nightfox) they felt so incredibly heavy.  I seriously felt like I had strapped cement blocks to my feet.  It took a bit to get used to them again and I think I'd like to look into a more minimal trail shoe... sometime in the future.  Any good suggestions?

8 comments:

Teamarcia said...

What a beauteous trail! Sorry/congrats?!? on the fall. ;)

Janet said...

I just thought you should know that you can't really fall gracefully. When you fall it usually happens so fast that you go down hard and without grace. You are lucky to have such a beautiful trail to run.

Mom_2_Pippa said...

GORGEOUS trail!!! I would love to run something like that. Good luck with the shoe hunt...new shoes are always fun!

Penny said...

Great trail run. I did a trail race on sat and fell twice. It not pretty to fall but at least I was able to get back up and keep on truckin. It was a lot of fun. Love the picture of your trail run. Way to get out there and get started, that seem to be the hardest part for most of us.

Jennica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SeRUNity NOW said...

What a gorgeous trail! It makes me want to ditch school and go run right now. Maybe I will...

Emz said...

Beautiful photos.
Awesome.
Yay for getting out there!!
You're awesome

Heather said...

Awesome pics--I hope you were enjoying the flora and fauna as you ran! I hear there is also great flora and fauna around Mt. Pisgah. :)