Thursday, November 17, 2011

Competing with Olympians

I have a little competition problem... as in, I am constantly competing with everyone... at everything... including myself.  I don't even mean to do it but it just happens.  I cannot play the Wii with my kids... especially Calvin.  That kid is amazing and I know better than to compete with him at Super Mario Bros., but when it comes to Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games or Wii Sports I can't help but put him in his place.  Yeah, he's 6... I'm ruthless.

Today on my run, I was minding my own business, just running along... me, a little old lady, running in the rain while pushing my kids in the stroller.  I had already gone 6 miles at a decent pace and was just a touch over a mile from home.  All of a sudden, out of nowhere, a whole grip of OTC Elites (and maybe some UO runners too?) came charging at me down the path.  As the first two guys went by, I overheard them talking about how so and so "will most likely medal in the 800, although it is kind of going to be a crap shoot".  I got caught up in wondering if they were talking about the trials and how cool it is to run along with Olympic hopefuls.  As more and more of them kept coming, I could fell my pace begin to quicken.  Before I knew it, I looked down and was alarmed to see my pace much closer to 7 minutes than the mid 8s I had been doing before hand.  Who on earth was I competing with?  I'm sure they didn't even glance twice in my direction, nor where they even headed the same way, yet somewhere in the back of my mind I had something to prove... to who? To them? To me?  Yep, I probably have close to 10 years on most of those kids, not to mention kids of my own and am in a completely different place in my life yet for those few moments where our paths crossed I was competing with them... even if they didn't realize it.

Now, next summer, when I'm watching the 800 trials, I can say, "Hey, I competed against those guys once"... even if it was just in my head.  :)

4 comments:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Ha! Now you know what it feels like to run a half with/against you!

XLMIC said...

LOL! funny how this brought back memories for me :)

Runblondie26 said...

Haha, loved this post!

Fruit Fly said...

That's awesome! Every single time I run in Eugene I feel like the people are me are future Olympians. I mean collectively, you are all so freaking fast!!!