Monday, November 21, 2011

42-22-32

No, those aren't my measurements.  Not even close... well one of them might be close, but not really.  They are actually pretty close  to Barbie's measurements if she were life sized... she's hugely disproportionate.  Anyway, I digress...

42 - the number of miles I ran last week.  Although it isn't super crazy, it is definitely the most mileage I've done in a while.  I just might be training for something.  In fact, Heather and I just might be training for something together... again.  We haven't made anything official yet, but there could be a pretty big race looming ahead for us.

22 - the number of miles Heather and I ran on Saturday.  Outside of my 3 marathons, that was only the second time I've run that far.  Without a doubt, it was the hardest 22 miles I've ever done.  I really, really, (as in if Heather hadn't been there and said, "what are we going to do to get our final 6?") really wanted to quit after 16.  I've never cut a training run short just because I didn't feel like doing more.  Thank goodness Heather was there.  It was a terribly awful run that left me feeling defeated and questioning my ability to continue in the direction of that race and at the same time left me feeling incredibly wonderful that we accomplished what we did and with a desire to try again.  It was also a lot of fun.  We stopped a lot to check the map.  We took the wrong routes several times, once leading us to a nice swing:
and of course, when confronted by a swing in the middle of nowhere on a mountain, one must swing:
Heather swung too, but I don't know that I have "rights" to that picture, so I won't post it.  It's hard to tell, but that swing was very, very high off the ground and it was a little bit precarious getting onto it.
We also managed to make it to the summit.  Just so you can get an idea, here's the elevation profile:
Yeah, that bigger mountain was at mile 14 of our run... it will be at mile 27 or so of the race.  Why yes, that is almost 1,000 straight up.  Needless to say we walked a lot all of it, and not at a nice brisk hiking pace... it was more of a I don't think I'm making much progress shuffle.  The view, however was very rewarding.
Look, our tiny little mountains got some snow!
Although, we left feeling a little bit defeated and woke up the next day feeling pretty sore, we've already decided to give it another go.  In 2 weeks we'll head back for 24 miles, tackle that summit again and a few other smaller hills that we may have neglected.

32 - the number in years I turned yesterday.  I celebrated by rolling out of bed then crawling up the stairs because I was that sore.  Then we went to church where a surprising amount of people knew it was my birthday (probably because it was printed on the back of the bulletin) and was even serenaded after Sunday School by an older, somewhat goofy, but super nice man.  After church, I had another church meeting but when I got home Dan had the kids all fed, 2 of them napping and a nice warm lunch waiting for me.  I only changed 1 diaper all day long, got an incredible massage that did wonders on my poor tired legs and finished the day off with angel food cake, strawberries and whipped cream.
Yes, I had more than one serving.
Yummy!!  All in all, it was a wonderful birthday.  I think I'll even claim next years birthday... I'll probably stop after that though 33 seems like a decent age to stop getting older.  :)

5 comments:

XLMIC said...

Happy Birthday!!!! And wow! your run definitely looks like a WINNER!!! How's the soreness right now?

Alanna said...

Happy Birthday Laurie!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

That run looks crazy!

Happy Birthday, you youngster you.

Anna Walker said...

Happy belated Birthday!! That cake looks super amazing! :)

Glad you're claiming your age for the next few years! :)
Hope this year is super super amazing for you! And congrats on that LONG run!

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

Thanks for not disclosing that it took me 3 tries to jump up on that swing or that you had to practically drag me through miles 21 and 22! :) I finally ran again today and I am STILL sore from Saturday. I'm now anticipating not getting out of bed for at least 48 hours after the BIG RACE!