Monday, October 17, 2011

Did I really just hear that?

So, Dan, my husband, just got back from running.  Before he left, he said, I really don't want to go running.  He had a long day at work, followed by Emme's soccer practice, it was dark and cold, he could have used any one of those excuses but he didn't.  He put on his shoes and headed out the door.  I'm so proud of him for going and sticking with it, especially on days were he really doesn't want to.  It makes me so happy in my heart every time he heads out for a run.  I love that something that brings me so much joy and happiness is becoming something that he enjoys as well.  Anyway, today after his run,  he said, "I realize I've only been running 2 to 3 times per week for a little less than a month, but I think someday I'd really like to run a marathon."  Be still my heart!  I remained calm and simply nodded and smiled, offering my encouragement, while inside my mind was moving a hundred miles a minute with all sorts of plans for the race we are going to do, when it is going to be... our long training runs together...  you name it, I thought about it.  Happy, happy, me.

Also, happy, happy me because my 8 miles went great on Saturday!  I had absolutely no knee pain.  I followed that up with a quick 3 miles this evening and am feeling great.  Only 2 small runs left and then it's race day.  I think I'm ready and I'm actually getting pretty excited.

7 comments:

Alanna said...

That's awesome! Colin's "make me happy" moment was when he announced (after running for a few months and losing weight) that if I got pregnant again he'd still keep running even if I couldn't.

I have visions of long runs together too, but he's so much faster than me it never actually happens. Thank goodness for our local run club.

Raina said...

Glad your knee is getting better!

How exciting that your hubby is enjoying running that much. Jon was doing some great running a few months ago, but he hasn't mentioned any marathons yet. :)

Tortuga_Runner said...

Dream post. So wish my hubby would buy in.

Fruit Fly said...

You are to cute .... "be still my heart" - love it!

Catey said...

Yay!! On the pain free run and the hubby! :)
I got a commitment out of mine for a marathon, though I do have to wait two years, I was ecstatic! After hip surgery this summer he just got clearance from his dr to start walking/jogging any measurable distance, and went and got fitted for shoes right after! Gotta love pulling the husband in! lol

Kristin said...

Oh that makes me so happy to hear about your great run!! You are totally ready and you will rock it!!

track coach and adorable wife said...

That's great! I love that jesse and I can share this crazy running thing together!