Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sorry Jim.

Let me tell you a little bit about the house we live in.  First off, we are renting... I think it's best I just throw that out there.  I tend to complain a fair amount about our house, but when all is said and done I know we couldn't find a better deal as close to the university as we are with as much room as we have.  Anyway, we've learned the hard way that our landlord fancies himself a fix it man, which usually involves a sort of "exploratory surgery"  approach to fixing things and the belief that there isn't much of anything that duct tape can't become a permanent fix for even self-inflicted (as in the landlord, not us) holes in the wall. Today's rant though is not about the hole behind our kitchen sink that exposes the back patio and has been there since November 2009 or the trench that was dug in our front yard to alleviate the flooding in our basement... nope, today's complaint has to do with the water.  Now I realize this has nothing to do with our landlord or his fix it man abilities... however since his father and uncle built the house many moons ago, I can imagine that they shared the same building/fixing creativity.

Our upstairs bathroom, the main bathroom with the full size shower, the shower that does not have a sink in it (that's a whole separate post of its own) is the last place in the entire house to receive water from the hot water heater.  Specifically the shower is the last place to get hot water.  It took us a few months to figure out that you can not shower with the laundry or dishwasher going and if anyone turns on any faucet or flushes any toilet anywhere in the house prepare to be blasted with freezing cold water.  It took us a little bit longer to realize that we must share a water heater with the studio apartment that is attached to our house.  Sometimes someone would be in the shower and all of a sudden yell out, "Please turn off the water, you're freezing me!!" (yes, we're always that polite when upset.. ha ha) and would be surprised to find out that no one was running water, in our house at least... which finally led to our "aha moment", as in "Aha, Jim (our attached neighbor) must share our water but not have gotten notice of our shower schedule".

Well yesterday afternoon, after what seemed like a particularly grueling tempo run with the double jogger, I was standing in a very hot and very needed shower trying to soothe my aching muscles and pride when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, the water became icy.  Since the only ones home with me were Leona and Jonny I figured Jim must have taken this great time to start running all the water in his house.  When the water stayed freezing I started to get a little irritated and began cursing him in my mind.  Just as my thoughts were getting pretty colorful, I heard this gurgling/gulping/semi-choking sound, which led me to stick my head out the shower door.  And what, you ask, did I see?  Well, Jonathan the Destroyer himself sprawled out across the bathroom counter slurping water out of the faucet of course.  You might remember back when he learned that "new trick"... well apparently he's still up to his old tricks.  So, I'm sorry Jim (not that you read my blog... let's keep it that way), for being mad at you for ruining my recovery shower.  Jonny, I'm not sorry that I called you a little monster... you are in fact a little monster.

In other news, I'm making plum butter, thanks to an enormous box of plums we acquired from Dan's parents.  The recipe I found is super easy... simply pit the plums and put them with sugar, in a slow cooker for 16 hours before canning.  Easy peasy.  HOWEVER... our house smells like the Sugar Plum Fairy took a wrong turn on her way to Chrismtasland (yes that is a place) and in an attempt to be discovered by the rescue fairies (we've been reading a few too many fairy books lately) doused our house in her sickeningly sweet stench.  Long story short... if I EVER smell plums again it will be too soon.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

hahah LOVE this post. Thanks for the visual and the smiles! :) Hope you have a better day!

ErinandShane said...

*snigger* This IS a good post, made me smile.

p.s. I thought of you today (as I ran with the jogging stroller). I was at my run's elevation peak and Emma interpreted my huffing and puffing as her own level of tiredness. She had to inform me that SHE was tired and needed a drink of water...I wondered how you do it so many miles, so many days, with so many more peanuts than me. I guess that's why you have a sarcastic blog post every now and than.

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Apparently Jonny needs to be strapped down somewhere before you take a shower. Oh, and you might as well tie Leona up too, I'm sure she could find some trouble to get into as well...

Haha! Great post...

Fruit Fly said...

Oh my! That would get frustrating having a neighbor's water affect yours. But kind of funny the look that must have been on your face when you saw the cause of the cold water!

I stayed with friends in Phoenix one time. I went into shower and the water never warmed up. So I flushed the toilet and warm water came! I jumped in, started bathing. Soon it was cold again. Throughout the entire shower I kept sticking my hand out to flush. I have always wondered if my friends wondered what was wrong with me. But I didn't have the heart to tell them the water in their guest bathroom was messed up. They've since moved, so now I don't have to worry about it!