Friday, September 2, 2011

I guess I'm ready...

Well, it's been almost a year since I ran my first half marathon, the inaugural Eugene Women's Half Marathon, last year.  I remember being super nervous the Friday before the race and even more so at packet pickup on Saturday.  I had stuck to my training plan and felt confident that I would be able to handle the distance without problem but still fear of the unknown lingered heavily in my mind.  I had never run in a race longer than a 5k nor a race of that size with so many participants.  Most of my training had been with my jogging stroller, it was only 6 months (to the day) since I had given birth to Jonny and I was still nursing.  I had no idea what I was going to do about fueling during the race and I kept going back and forth about carrying my own water.  I remember on race morning I was a jittery ball of nerves.  Luckily I had to nurse Jonny before I took off for the start because that gave me a few moments to sit and try to compose myself before immediately returning to freak out mode.  Once I actually got to the race, the music was playing, I got my bag checked without problem and before long we were off.  (You can read my full report HERE if you'd like.)  I struggled at points but when it was over I was super excited and proud for having worked so hard and accomplishing my goal.

Now, a year later I should feel a lot more prepared.  Since that race, really the race that planted the racing bug deep inside of me, I have done another half marathon, 2 full marathons, a few 5ks, a 10 miler and also a 20 miler, in addition to the Hood to Coast relay.  I, however, don't feel very prepared.  I think, in part it is because I haven't been training for this half.  I have a marathon coming up towards the end of October and we are deep in marathon training.  I know that I can conquer the distance, I know that I can run a half marathon and do a decent job but the question I can't seem to answer right now is can I race a half and be happy with my time?  I know I shouldn't put so much pressure on myself and just go out and have a great time since I haven't really trained for this race, but I think I'm just a tad too competitive for that.  Not necessarily competitive with other people but in a constant competition with myself.  I want to PR.  Of course, there is also the fact that there is a pretty large group of women from my church that are running this race and maybe it's vain, but I want to look good in front of all of them (and, not so secretly anymore, want to beat them all too).

Even a year later, I'm still super nervous about racing.  I know that I can cover the distance and I know how I want to fuel.  I also know that I do not want to carry water.  I still have the fear of the unknown though because come race day, anything is possible.

If nothing else, I do have my race outfit ready to go.  I'm lucky to be wearing the turquoise traveling sparkle skirt... hopefully it will provide me with a little bit of extra running mojo:
I shouldn't be hard to spot... say hello if you see me.  :)

Also, Kim of (Just) Trying is for Little Girls and I will be getting together at packet pickup.  If you'll be in town we'd love to meet up with you.  Meet us at the 5th Street Public Market fountain at 3pm on Saturday during packet pickup.  I shouldn't be too hard to miss there either... I'll be wearing the exact same thing as last year... it is a duck game day after all.
me with SBS last year
Run happy & run strong! Go Ducks!!!

11 comments:

Michelle said...

oooo 3PM I should totally be there by then. If I miss you both however I will look for that amazing skirt flying past me :) You are going to be great and I cannot wait to hear all about it! I am a ball of nerves myself and you just reminded me I should figure out what I am going to wear SIGH! That makes it more real :) SEE YOU SOON!

XLMIC said...

you will be fast and cute in your awesome turquoise outfit! You are going to do great :)

Tricia said...

you're going to rock it! have fun in the skirt

P said...

I totally remember when you ran this last year - I can't believe it's been a year already!! Of course you are going to totally rock this race! Good luck!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

That skirt has magical powers, you'll do great. I'm tempted to wear this year's Ducks rally shirt to the expo(S left one here...), but ah, that yellow! See you tomorrow, can't wait!

Raina said...

That skirt is A W E S O M E.

Don't stress too much over the half. DO your best. You just had a hard weekend! I bet you will do fantastic. Have fun meeting up with all the bloggers :)

Meredith said...

Have fun this weekend! Will be down there as well and I told Kim we'll probably be able to meet at the fountain at 3. Should be a great weekend!

Julie D. said...

Good luck on Sunday! I will be running as well and planning on being at the fountain! Go ducks!

Teamarcia said...

Gosh it's been a whole year already? Look how far you've come! No worries you'll be great this weekend. Good luck and have fun!

Heather said...

Definitely a PR...you are running awesome these days. Can't wait to hear how it all goes.

Fruit Fly said...

You have done a lot of BIG races in this last year! Very impressive!